Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 84 fxrt, 1340 evo with compufire electronic ignition and s&s super e carb. Bike sat for 16 years. I bought it, changed the oils, rebuilt the carb, new plugs and wires blah blah blah and it fired right up. Idled great but would never rev up, would just die with any throttle. Well while idling it died and now just wont start. Even when spraying starter fluid in the carb it doesnt want to start at all so im pretty sure its not a carb problem. Checked the ignition and timing looks right. Brand new plugs and wires and i have spark. Checked compression amd have 110lbs in both cylinders which is low but within spec. So in short, i have fresh fuel, spark, timing and compression and this thing just wont start and im not sure what to even check next so any help would be amazing. Maybe a leakdown test? Maybe valve seats are fucked or somthn? Im just at a loss now and its driving me crazy.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts
First thoughts are ignition issue. Just because you have spark doesn't mean it's enough. Second thing would be valve seals possibly

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very true. Ill try and look up the testing for the coil and see if maybe its just not firing hard enough.

Reactions: CK 187

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so.... i tested the primary circuit and its supposed to be between 2.5 and 3.1 ohm and mines reading 5.7 so thats def out of spec. And when testing secondary its supposed to read 11k and 14k ohms and i have nothing, no reading what so ever. So it sounds like the coils bad right? But it seems odd i have any spark at all with those readings but maybe its just weak garbage spark not strong enough to run the bike?

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so i lied. I had a weird feeling about my old multimeter so i went and bought a new one. So primarys are ar 6ohm and secondaries are at almost 20k ohm which is way out of the service limit so that makes more sense to me why it has spark but hella weak spark. Guess ill try and find a coil and give it a shot.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so new coil did the trick, fired right up. BUT it still wont rev, it stalls the second you give it throttle which seems like a fuel starvation problem to me. I do not have an inline filter, maybe i should just to see what its looking like. It seemed like fuel was flowing but i took the line off with tbe petcock open and when the fuel line is curved up to connect to the carb its barely dribbling out of the line so im hoping it just isnt filling the bowl all tbe way or fast enough to let it rev properly. I have an aux test tank that im going to hook to the carb tomorrow and see how it runs, ill report back.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got it figure out. Was a combo of the bad coil not letting it start. Petcock being gummed up not letting the bowl fill all the way and the ignition timing was a little too advanced. Now shes starting easy and reving up without missing a beat and is sounding good. I think the guy installed the new ignition but never actually ran the bike with it on there so it wasnt set right. Close enough to let it start but too advanced to run correctly. Should have known better than to trust someone elses work.

Reactions: F'dup

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Yeah, pics?

I went to a local Indian dealer for their demo day and now I'm hooked on the Scout but can't afford one. Looking into a Sportster 1200 to make a cheaper version of the Indian. Unless I find a wrecked sv1000 or something to pull the engine from. I just want something more comfortable to cruise on across state lines.

·
Remi's Dad
17,593 Posts
Yeah, pics?

I went to a local Indian dealer for their demo day and now I'm hooked on the Scout but can't afford one. Looking into a Sportster 1200 to make a cheaper version of the Indian. Unless I find a wrecked sv1000 or something to pull the engine from. I just want something more comfortable to cruise on across state lines.
i can tell you that a sportster will probably be too small for you. Both my mom and dad have 1200 and 883 and they are frigghn tiny

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
i can tell you that a sportster will probably be too small for you. Both my mom and dad have 1200 and 883 and they are frigghn tiny
I dwarfed my sportster Mike, and you're bigger than I am
I assume anything I get will be too small and will need the pegs and bars changed at the minimum. The extended reach version of the Scout felt good but there was no padding left in the seat. I guess I'm mostly looking for a cheap engine to match the power of the Scout and everything else will have to be made to fit me like normal. I've always liked the idea of a vfr powered bobber. I figure a bigger engine will make me look smaller.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
What about a 1st Gen Vmax? Plenty of power, better ergos than a sportbike (although not perfect) decent handling, did I mention plenty of power?

Later, Doug

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yo dudes, sorry was in mexico for 5 days and had no internet or anything. I have some risers coming in this week sometime and will throw em on amd snap some pics and post em up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts