Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just put a new chain on my bike, good right!? WRONG! The PO must have done the 520 conversion and the new 525 chain is sloppy on the sprocket, the local shop is open but I don't have time before work and the wife has the car!!!

Will it make the 30 mile round trip to work and back?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured, damn that was a dumb move....I cut the old chain off before I....well it just wasn't smart, lesson learned!

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
Not so much freeplay on the chain and as Nailhead said take easy, no problems.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I made it, nice and easy worked out quite well and was kinda enjoyable VS my typical blaze to work like my ass is on fire

I took a couple glances at the chain and it seemed to be doing good other that slipping side to side on the sprocket

I know it's been covered before but since we're on the subject...What's the best way to mash the rivets on a new master without a tool?

After cleaning the old chain it looks to be in great shape, it's a Vortex chain and I'll be reinstalling it ASAP

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did that with a center punch on the first one and it ended up breaking the flares off, the end of the master pins were already hollowed out so I stuck the punch in the end with a big chunk of steel behind the link and whacked it, but after a couple whacks the flared part cracked and a piece fell off,

I'm thinkin this is some cheap ass chain stock, and prolly don't want that shit on me bike anyway

But when I score some new masters tomorrow ill see if I can do like you said with out busting shit up this time

Thanks Jerry :D

·
Registered
299 Posts
I did it like this before I even had the rear wheel on, I got a block of wood set it against my left foot and pulled the chain out and put it against the block then flared the rivets with a ball peen and punch. This was with the chain on the front sprocket and my left foot bellow the swingarm. Don't hit it real hard try to find a punch that wont go completely in the rivet but will go partially in so it'll flare evenly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts