Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been on the forums for a while, but just started to actually make my first fighter. It is a 1985 gs700e. I am going to start with the front end. what would you guys suggest as a light fork that will handle the weight of this bike? also, price is an issue because I want to enter it into the next build-off and I have already spent $500 for the bike itself. Thanks for the help.

Also, if you have anything for sale that you think might help me, pm me and let me know. Thanks again. :letsride:

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,432 Posts
The oldskoolsuzuki website (google it, I forget the URL) has pages and pages of cheap/easy upgrades for old GSes.

A lot of guys on here have GSes. The GS700 is actually a GS750 if I recall correctly, it was only called a GS700 to get past a tax that was around for a couple years in the 80s. A late-90's GSX-R front end might be your best bet. The inverted forks are probably too stiff and will stress the old gs frame. These can be found pretty cheap on eBay. Check OldSkoolSuzuki to see what would need to be done to fit the GSX-R forks.

The advantage of the forks is not only improved suspension dynamics but also more modern brakes.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
www.oldschoolsuzuki.info - thats what haelo is talking about.

for your front end i would start looking at some recent GSXR forks. make a switch for the USD's.

:D

post pics of your new baby.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I wanted to just put dirt bike handles on it right now until I get $$$ for a new fork, what would i have to do???

Do you guys know who has a gs700/750 fighter so I could look at what they have done? I just want to get rid of those ugly raisers between the handles and the actual fork tubes for now. I looked to find someone on here who has one, but can't seem to find one.

Thanks

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
You can mount dirt bike bars on the bike the way it is for now, without changeing cables or lines ? It will change the look some. I did it to a gs750 l I'm messin with. I posted pics somewhere ?

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
I can't see the bars ? are they 7/8 bars stock ?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, they are 7/8 bars, BUT there is a weird extender that raises the bars up like 6 inches. they bolt right down on the triple (each one is independently attached to each fork tube). I have never seen anything like this, so I don't know what to do to give it a different set of bars. If you look close on the second pic in the link above, you can kinda see what I am talking about on the throttle-side handlebar.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
why not get a set of old katana clipons and switch to clipons... it would look sweet.

kinda like this one

or just drill your top tripple and mount a set of risers and bars on it

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
if you have any problems with drilling your tripple then get in contact me. I can do it for like 20 bucks on my mill

·
14 Posts
If you swap out the headlight, let me know, i will buy it, or if you are looking for dual headlights, i have the Buell dual headlight set-up... brand new, would swap you for your stock GS headlight. Willie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts