Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's not really next... I have to finish my buildoff Busa, then I have a couple projects for other people on deck, but I have an off the wall idea for my next toy. We had a big snowstorm roll through over the last few days, and it got my gears turning.
Gotta be lightweight with good low end... 2 stroke maybe? I'll make a swingarm to fit the widest tire I can, maybe even a car tire since it's flat instead of convex, and either stud it or put chains on it. Front tire, maybe just a really knobby MX tire, I dunno. It wouldn't go nearly as fast as a sled and I wouldn't exactly be dragging knees in the turns, it would just need to be able to do well in snow yet not get torn apart on asphalt.
More of a "why not" than a "why" project. Just for fun.

·
Registered
463 Posts
VFR arm and run a car wheel however wide you want. Something relatively high displacement but long stroke...an LS650? I've never been tooling around on a smoker thinking "wow look at all this midrange!"

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was wanting to get out in the snow too, I used to take my bike out in the snow when I was a kid.
But it seems to me the front is the weak part of the setup, even if you have a rear tire thats so wide it will stand up by itself. Actually that would make the back sit up on top of the snow while the front was cutting through.
I think something like a supermoto with studded tires front and back would be about right, like those videos of guys riding on ice. I've seen a video of the s1000 on ice with studded tires, but ice is smooth and snow is unpredictable. A big engine would be cool but heavy and you know you'll drop it and getting a streetbikes fat ass back upright is hard enough on dry pavement.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've never been tooling around on a smoker thinking "wow look at all this midrange!"
lol. This is true.

If you're looking for grunt I'd look in to single cylinder for sure.

I've ridden plenty of dirt bikes in snow. You think you'd need a paddle, but you don't. A knobby will push you more places than you would imagine.

What are those little Yamaha's that get no respect? TR, TW... something like that. I always thought they looked like good, little snow bikes. Low and light with big balloonny tires.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the school that put on my wife's MSF course had one, it seemed pretty gutless. They look neat though.

I think to get to the target weight for this project (not that I have actual numbers in mind), a homebrew aluminum tube frame will be in order.

·
3,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Badass! Ice racing is pretty sweet, though I don't think a bike built for ice would take to snow/asphalt too well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts