Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it's been a while since i've done any work on a bike and to be honest, the most i've ever done is rebuilds and repairs. I've never gone into the world of customization.

I want that to change. I work as an electrician and i've managed to save up a good amount of money to do a project well and not wait around every month waiting for payday.

My problem is: what bike do i go for?

I don't know the ins and outs of customizing bikes so i thought i'd ask you guys who obviously know a lot more than me. If i tell you what i want out of a bike, maybe you could suggest some bikes and maybe some modifications to point me in the right direction?

Firstly, i love the look of aggressive looking bikes with the big tanks but not the ones that come either side of the frame. Secondly, the engine has to fill the frame... i see a few fighters around where i'm from and you can fit your whole arm through gaps beteeen the frame and the engine. i'm a big fan of the SSSA but the bike doesn't have to come with one as i could just swap it over Same thing applies to USD forks. engine size... 600-1000cc?

How i ride, i stick mainly to A roads and enjoy breaking the speed limits, but i also work in a city so i need something that can deal with both. I'm not a wheelie/stunt fanatic and i don't want to drag my knee at every roundabout.

For a budget, i'd like to get everything done including buying the bike for under £5k but as i don't know if that's realistic or not, i have £7k saved. bassically, i was saving for a brand new Kawa Z1000SX and i might still buy one, i just want to consider the custom route first.

Sorry for the long post everyone, but if anyone can help through about some ideas, let me know :)

·
Fooking old git
2,216 Posts
Hi everyone, it's been a while since i've done any work on a bike and to be honest, the most i've ever done is rebuilds and repairs. I've never gone into the world of customization.

I want that to change. I work as an electrician and i've managed to save up a good amount of money to do a project well and not wait around every month waiting for payday.

My problem is: what bike do i go for?

I don't know the ins and outs of customizing bikes so i thought i'd ask you guys who obviously know a lot more than me. If i tell you what i want out of a bike, maybe you could suggest some bikes and maybe some modifications to point me in the right direction?

Firstly, i love the look of aggressive looking bikes with the big tanks but not the ones that come either side of the frame. Secondly, the engine has to fill the frame... i see a few fighters around where i'm from and you can fit your whole arm through gaps beteeen the frame and the engine. i'm a big fan of the SSSA but the bike doesn't have to come with one as i could just swap it over Same thing applies to USD forks. engine size... 600-1000cc?

How i ride, i stick mainly to A roads and enjoy breaking the speed limits, but i also work in a city so i need something that can deal with both. I'm not a wheelie/stunt fanatic and i don't want to drag my knee at every roundabout.

For a budget, i'd like to get everything done including buying the bike for under £5k but as i don't know if that's realistic or not, i have £7k saved. bassically, i was saving for a brand new Kawa Z1000SX and i might still buy one, i just want to consider the custom route first.

Sorry for the long post everyone, but if anyone can help through about some ideas, let me know :)
Loads of bikes for under £5k around, your budget depends on how much you can do, you can get a cat 'c' write off 1000cc bike for about £3000, £1000 will buy lots of goodies, yokes, different forks sssa. etc.
For £7000 you can build a show bike.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
Welcome man, well that's a hell of a budget. You could get something really special for that.

If you want a frame filling engine: V-twin is a good place to start. SV1000s are cool, cheapish and have a lovely frame.

But. If i was looking to blow that much money (i'll probably never have that money!) It'd be an RC8.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/KTM/RC8/2008/_/R-NXGN-3100511

Sounds like you won't like the tank (i love it) but 6K buys the bike, maybe get £500 back for the fairing, spend that on a trellis Ducati Monster S4R SSSA, sell the wheel and swinger, get 5 spoker wheel to match the front, keep the headlight, you've already got WP USD forks, Brembo radials, slap some highbars on it, use your remaining 1K+ on lovely custom bits / power commander / cans / whatever = rock out with yer cock out.

Damn, i need to start saving, i'm building the wrong damn bike! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts