Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive tried everything i can think of to get this bearing off. Its on the lower triple on my steering stem. Does anyone know a good way?

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
heat and wd40 do wonders.

or a bearing splitter and a hydraulic press.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trying the heat tomorrow. Ill add some dubya d to the recipe.

·
890 Posts
Take the forks out, put the stem upside down in a vice. You should be able to get a punch onto the inside race of the bearing at the rear side of the triple clamp (you might have to go through the dust seal). Give it a good hit and it will drift off the stem.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
how does one press stems in and out cook??

·
407 Posts
929_adam said:
how does one press stems in and out cook??
just use a hydraulic press. they can be had for cheap from harbor freight. I wouldnt put a harbor freight on in a pro machine shop but they're fine for home. Put the lower triple on something that allows the stem to not be covered, then press the stem down from the top. POP! bearing pops right off. You can then press the stem back in from the bottom, or now you can get creative with fitting new forks to your bike.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hillsy said:
Take the forks out, put the stem upside down in a vice. You should be able to get a punch onto the inside race of the bearing at the rear side of the triple clamp (you might have to go through the dust seal). Give it a good hit and it will drift off the stem.
Sorry but this idea doesnt work on that bearing. Its been on there for ten years and i gave it a million good hits cause i had this idea to but it didnt work...all i got out of it was a sore arm.

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
press the stem out with any basic press, or even a vice. You can get presses all over the place. Usually looks like a bottle jack for a car and a crossbeam with a table that's adjustable using pegs.

Pounding on it, heating it, etc. will just marr it and fuck it up.

The only good way is constant increase of pressure.... a press. :thumbup:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mpls|cafe|racer said:
Pounding on it, heating it, etc. will just marr it and fuck it up.
I dont care about marring it and fucking it up. Its been on there for ten years...thats why im taking it off. Im replacing it. Why else would i want it off?

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
drunkNun said:
I dont care about marring it and fucking it up. Its been on there for ten years...thats why im taking it off. Im replacing it. Why else would i want it off?
..... I was talking about the neck, not the bearing.... ;)

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I've cut plenty of bearings off without fucking up what they were on. I use oxy/acy to cut them

·
HipsterKillerGarage
6,484 Posts
haelo said:
I've cut plenty of bearings off without fucking up what they were on. I use oxy/acy to cut them
It's definitely possible. I've blasted some bolts out of threaded holes that were rusted in using an oxy/acetylene cutting rig with some luck and a LOT of patience. ;)

You just need to have a steady hand.

With this though it's pretty easy to just pop the stem out (removing the bearing at the same time) and then repressing the stem.

Two ways to skin the proverbial cat so to speak. :rock:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea... I didnt get to take a stab at it today but tomorrow im gonna try and get it off with a dremel. First im gonna put some heat to it with a propane torch and then try to knock it off. But if that wont work im just gonna get out the dremel.

·
more ideas than money
945 Posts
let me know what solves the prob....... I have been beating on one for three nights now. Today after work I think I am gonna call in a favor at a speed shop and get it pressed. hell last night I even pulled out the grinder and tried to steady hand it... the race is chewed up now... but still in the same dam place!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts