Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 1996 ZX6F and it is making a ticking noise from the front wheel area. I notice if i tap the front brake it stops while i have the brake applied. The brakes still work good. I also do not have a Speed-o-meter cable hooked up. Anouther thing i have thought is maybe the front wheel bearing are going out? I am not for sure what the issue may be exactly so i am turing to you guys for advice.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
I would go with the bearing especially if those are the original bearings. I would replace those before you try anything else and even if that isn't the cause you have fresh bearings.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Can you expand on "the discs moving on the bobbins" What extcatly are the boobins?
I'm pretty sure he is talking about the rivets that hold the rotor to the carrier. Floating rotors have the pins or rivets or what ever the hell you call them... bobbins... that connect the part where your pads are making contact with, to the part that is actually bolted to the wheel. If those are a little loose it can make that noise and explain why the noise goes away under braking.

But I wouldn't trust those bearings regardless, time to buy some cheap insurance. When a bearing goes it's not a good scene.

The bobbins are what connects the black part of the disk in the picture to the part that your pads are in contact with, the silver part...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 82 Honda. The front wheel was slightly off center on one side. It seems that on my bike you could tweak each side a little. One caliper was just nicking the rotor. I loosened the lower clamp and pushed it over and tightened it back up. If that makes sense. No more noise. Just my .02

G

·
:) F'dup got it right Re Bobbins, sorry for the poor explanation on my part, i was in a rush lol

I do MOT testing for a living (thats a yearly basic test to check if its road worthy to you US guys) you would be surprised at how many bikes fail on exessive wear in the disc bobbins IE the outer part is rattling around independant of the inner, its a judgment call on how much movement is too much, grab the disc & attempt to move it around you will soon see if thats the problem :)

Bearings is another common fail, support the bike with the wheel off the ground, grab the wheel top & bottom & push/ pull, then without turning the wheel do the same but side to side, you should feel a slight knock if there a problem, next spin the wheel & listen for exessive noise ...... If in doubt change the bearings and/or the discs to be safe

hope it helps :)

·
Is my bike ok?
15,255 Posts
You mean your bike has a mechanical speedo drive still installed, but you removed the cable?

I did that once and the speedo drive was really loud that way. It clicked at certain speeds.brake applications like you describe. I guess it tends to click around since it's running ''unloaded''. That may be all it is. Do you have a cable you can stuff back in there to test with? Might save you some money and trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.