Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Noob here. just got new 2003 SV650s running after it was sitting for a few years.

while riding, it is difficult to change gears from 1st to 2nd and then trying to find Neutral is like threading a needle after having a few to drink. I just have it in 1st while I'm at a stop.

while the bike is not on but the power is, I can shift into any gear and find neutral no problem...

what is going on??

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
is that the piece that connects the shift lever to the tranny? (Excuse my noobness) lol
In very very simple terms yes lol. Shift lever connects to shift shaft, shift shaft connects to what they call a gear plate that moves what many people call a "shift star," the star is connected to a shift drum, the shift drum has slot in it that the shift fork nubs fit into. So when you move the lever up or down, the star turns the drum which in turn pushes or pulls the forks. etc etc etc lol.

Could also be a damaged shift star causing your problems, doesnt usually happen but ive seen stranger things.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Neutral being difficult to find is usually because the clutch is dragging more than is ideal. This can be a stretched out or misadjusted clutch cable, or believe it or not, you need an oil change. Spent oil isn't as slippery as new, and since you have a wet clutch, this means more dragging when the pressure plate is disengaged.

Your clutch lever should have about 1/2" of free play before you feel resistance. If there's a ton of slop you might not be fully disengaging it.

A bent shift fork or damaged drum are possibilities, but definitely check clutch play and try fresh oil first.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
still doesn't explain why its hard to shift from first to second.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
^ that's my guess. combo of bent fork and unadjusted/ bad cable

·
Registered
740 Posts
If the bike creeps in gear with the clutch pulled is isn't disengaging completely/ dragging. This will make shifting difficult since you can never really get zero-torque in the transmission, and the 1-2 is going to be the hardest with it getting easier in taller gears.

A clutch that's shot will slip, not creep. Your cable is out of adjustment. If the wheel on the perch is all the way out and it still creeps with the lever to the bar, turn out the adjustment down by the clutch itself. Usually one right at the throwout lever. If you have to back that waaay out, you probably should replace the cable since it's really stretched out and prone to breaking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
problem fixed :rock:

adjusted the clutch cable at the bottom and tension is tight. about .75" - 1" of freeplay

Gonna need to complete replace the cable soon
im on the last thread at the top and bottom

Shifts freely from 1-2 and neutral is finally easy to get to

thanks for all the help!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts