Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed an acerbis blitz headlight. after about 5 minutes or so it starts to smoke and i can smell burning plastic. i've seen plenty of bikes on this site with the same headlight. does the blitz headlight need to be modified to put on a streetbike? thanks.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
You might want to make sure it's wired correctly. I would start there.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm pretty sure i've got it wired correctly. all i did was clip the existing wires that were going to the stock lights and spliced them to the new lights. is it more complicated than that?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
its not that complicated, i would take a look at the wiring diagram, you may have the hi/low wires crossed???

do you have your switch set on HI beams??

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
My cyclops melted my throttle cable ?? There are little silver discs that go around the bulb, and they get hot as hell and the protective rubber boot slides off easy and doesn't protect shit ?

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've got the low beam wires going to the bottom light and the high beam wires going to the top light. when i flick the hi beam switch top light goes on.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,433 Posts
The wattage of the bulbs are probably too high. Acerbis lights are known to melt with anything over the stock wattage.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
its not that complicated, i would take a look at the wiring diagram, you may have the hi/low wires crossed???

do you have your switch set on HI beams??
There's no difference between hi/low wires, 12v is 12v.

It's the bulbs hi element that burns brighter then a low element.

Here's my guess, did you buy the light new? Did you change the bulbs with a hotter bulb? Mine came with 35W lamps. They sucked for light but they're cooler then a 55w.

Take it off and see where it's burning. You can take that whole assembly apart with a few screws. Check it out and report back. Maybe take a few pics.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved. i relocated anything that was close to the bulb housing. it seems to be fine now. no more smoking & no more melting plastic smell.

thanks for all the advise.

·
Naked from the waste down
1,334 Posts
Not much to help with. The lights suck in those. Mine was worthless.

A AAA Maglite put off more light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts