Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So against my better judgment my room mate bought a 77 kz650 as a roller
The only thing he really has motor wise is the motor and some of a wiring harness

I'm not much of a carbd guy and never really messed around with them much.
We are going to pick up a rack of carbs and ignition coils today but is there anything else that we have to have to get the engine running?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but any help is appreciated because I am kind of lost

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Check the iggy on the engine! If it is 2 sets of points then all you need is coils, but for the charging system you will need a regulator and rectifier. Both of which I can sell sell you for dirt cheap!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a regulater so I'm guessing we need a charging system
How much would you want for that recitifier?
Is that all we will need to get it running minus wiring it all up and a battery?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep sure can here's the bike

Here's the motor

And here's the regulator

There is a few misc. parts in a box, could you post up a pick of the recitifier so I can make sure we don't have one?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Yep that is all you will need. It looks like you have a 78 by the tank shape and if has the combo reg/rectifier then most likely is 78 kz650 D. Probably the simplest ignition system on any bike. You will just need the carbs and coils. There are only 2 coils with 2 wires each on them. This is the same bike I built a couple of years ago.

·
Super Moderator
3,040 Posts
The VIN should 17 digits. The 10th is a year code. Double check the be sure what year you have. By the tank it looks like a Kz650SR which I think was the "D" model.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome thank y'all so much.
I will look at the vin and figure out exactly which one we have and try to find a wiring diagram from there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts