Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im sellin my 929 and lookin to do some maintence work to it
i know im a squid,but w/e id get gl to help with it but who knows when hell get out

i need to know how to do an oil change
radiator flush
if theres a specific spark plug i need?or what would be best

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Oil Change - remove side fairings. Ride the bike for 5 or 10 minutes to let the oil warm up. Park bike, put on stand. Remove drain plug and drain oil (heating it up allows the oil to flow better and remove more gunk). Reinstall and properly torque drain bolt (DO NOT overdo it, this is the most stripped fastener on a bike). Remove oil filter, lightly lube o-ring on new filter, install new oil filter. Fill with proper amount of oil.

Radiator Flush - Here's what I do. Set up a drain pan and open the drain valve on your rad. Open rad cap let fluid drain. After it appears to be done, I add some water and let that drain through, might pick up some stuff. Then, close valve and fill proper amount in rad.

Plug - Yes, there are specific types of plug to use, your bike uses an NGK CR9EHX-9 or something, Adam may know.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Amsoil or my preference is Motul. Same shit, different pile. Everyone has their reasons to run one of the other, neither one is bad. You'll want a 10w40 semi-synthetic.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Full synthetics to me, are overkill for street bikes. If a bike has had synthetic since the beginning, then there's no real reason against it. Sometimes, when a bike has been run on dino oil or semi-syn its whole life, a full synthetic is too "slippy" and it causes clutch slippage. Plus, SOME synthetics are not miscible with other types (mixable) meaning they will not blend. They can actually bond and gunk up...causing big issues. If I bought a new bike tomorrow, I'd probably run full synthetic but my GSXR has run on semi-synthetic for 7 years now and I really like the performance I get out of it.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Generally speaking, semi-synthetic seems to be around $8-9 a litre, and full synthetic goes up to almost double that. I do oil changes at least once every 5000kms, so $80 on oil every couple months is a bit high.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol

929dude-"hey sev,open this for me"

sev-"did you let your engine cool first?"

929dude-"of course:D"

sez-"ok"

hot rad fluid blows upp all over the place

sev-"AAAAAHHHHHHHH my face,its melting"

929dude-"ha ha" *sips a beer*

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
just a note, make sure the plugs you put in there are the iridium tipped ones. alot of the honda's run those plugs, and they run like crap with anything else in them. the main downfall is they're EXPENSIVE. when i went thru my 954 it cost me $16 (us) PER PLUG!! rediculous, i know, but like i said, they run like crap with any other plug in them.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,722 Posts
i was gonna offer advice...but i dont condone selling 929's.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
When you tighten down the oil filter, spin it until it won't spin freely then tighten it half a turn.

Make sure the old rubber gasket from the old filter isn't stuck on there, it should come off with the old filter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts