Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently swapped to a bucket headlight from aztec8. Everything is wired up correctly, I think. Works. Anyway I went out on a ride last week And the low beam burnt out. Took it out today and ran the high beam. By the time I got home it was out. WTF. I switched to a h4 connection when changing to the bucket. I put in a relay to switch from high to low. So when the high is on, the low shuts off and doesn't stay on. Could it be the relay? All fuses are good. Maybe bad bulbs or cheapos from Aztec 8? I think my 2008 versys is putting out 14volts or so at 3000 rpm. So would a standard 12v bulb not work? That's kind of confusing to me. I wasn't burning any bulbs out until I did the switch. Yes my r/r could be going bad and putting too much voltage to the bulb. But it would be a gigantic coincidence since this only started happening when I did the switch. I also do not have nearly any vibrations. Any thoughts ? Should I switch to an led?

Attachments

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I'd throw a name brand bulb in and see what happens before getting too involved, note the date and see how long it lasts, or I guess look up the date on this thread?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,037 Posts
The "12volt" electrical systems on autos and bikes don't exactly run on precisely 12 volts. They can swing as high as 15 without being outside of their normal parameters. A bike that runs 14+ volts has a healthy charging system.

Don't let the label 12v worry you too much. It's basically just there to help differentiate between 6, 12 and 24 volts systems.

Also, did you touch the bulb? Can't touch a halogen bulb with your bare fingers. Kills them real fast.

If the relay is still clicking its probably OK, but you can test it with a meter or test light and verify that it's putting out.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
When a filament "burns out" it usually breaks somewhere, the broken piece can easily hang down and interfere with the remaining filament. if you've still got power at the connector and nothing else is acting up I really wouldn't worry.

·
114 Posts
Have you looked at the blown bulb? Are the filaments clearly 'broken' or is the actual bulb blown. Grease from fingers etc on the glass can cause the actual bulb to blow from the heat.

As mentioned, put a new one in and track it's progress.

edit: Nevermind the fingerprint comment, shinyribs beat me to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I bought the light new that came with a bulb already plugged in. So there's no way that I touched it but it's possible someone did during packaging. Just got a new bulb today. Silverstar brand so let's see if it blows. The light output is way better than the stock bulb so that's good. I'll post my results when I can ride soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. It happened to be a bad bulb from Aztec8. All my connections were good, no vibrations, and voltage was normal. I popped in a new bulb and "ahhhhhhh" we have light. I rode nearly 100 miles this week and no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts