Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally bought the bike new in Germany so it has never been titled in the U.S. I was in an accident and it was totaled and stored as a project bike. I am finally getting parts together to start the build and ran into an issue. I lost my keys!! No problem, I will take the title to the dealership and have them cut me new ones right?..... I have been carting this bike from Germany, to NJ, to MD and somewhere in between 4 moves I have managed to loose all my paperwork. All I have is the original authorization to export form from the military that is in English and German. It has the make, Model, vin, my name, and the address of the place in Germany that I bought it from with an approved stamp from the German Zollomt and U.S. MP's. I have not tried yet but I am hoping that will be good enough for proof of ownership.

So for now I am not int he mood to deal with it and just plan on buying a new ignition set. My question is, since I plan on making a bracket to frame mount it anyway any ignition switch and Key should work right? Looking at replacements for a 2007 ZZR600 the price is $100 used to $300 new. I was just going to pick up a zx600E EMGO switch on ebay for $20 and call it good. Any cause for concern?

·
watches you sleep.
9,116 Posts
Hi, welcome to Custom Fighters. I really cant help you with getting your bike titled because it sounds like it's going to be near impossible. Some states are much easier to get a replacement title in than others but I dont think Maryland is one of them. I just bought a car from there and there was a crazy amount of paperwork and shit. As for the ignition, the short answer is no. Not just any old ignition set will work all the time. Some bikes have resistors built into the ignition so you cant just hot wire it on the spot. Some are easier than others. Since yours is a 2007, expect it to have newer technology involved with the ignition. Just search google for ignition replacement 2007 blah blah blah and that should get you started. If its a simple ignition wiring setup then any ignition switch with the same amount of wires should work. No sense in spending crazy money for it anyways. gonna relocate and customize the bike anyways. Just keep in mind that you will lose your steering lock and youll be making the bike easier to steal, so take that into account with your new key location. Maybe make it hard for the average guy off the street to find where the ignition switch is. Best of luck to you dude. I hope it works out without you having to buy a new titled frame or anything. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, its identical to the 2000-2002 ZX6R. If I recall the key is pretty simple so I dont think it is a chipped anti theft system key. I may try and hot wire it before I buy an ignition to test the theory out.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
In Virginia we can apply for an abandoned vehicle title. Since you know the bike was never in anyone else's name youre safe. $25 title request and they search their system for back taxes, leins or that someone else doesnt actually own the bike. Again, you're all clear here.

Once the Vin is declared clear you have to put up the bike fit public auction for, iirc, 30 days. Just put up a bogus flyer in your local post office or gas station.

If nobody comes to claim/ buy the bike during that period ( of course, they won't) then they will give you the title. A clear title good as new.

You can also do a lost title claim, but being international would most likely be a clusterfuck.

I'd see if abandoned vehicle titles are applicable in your area. Just tell them the bike was in the back yard when you bought your house.

These usually go without a hitch. It's in their interest to help you title this bike. They want the taxes.

As far as keys. With an aftermarket ignition switch installed, what about the key for your tank and seat lock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Virginia we can apply for an abandoned vehicle title. Since you know the bike was never in anyone else's name youre safe. $25 title request and they search their system for back taxes, leins or that someone else doesnt actually own the bike. Again, you're all clear here.

Once the Vin is declared clear you have to put up the bike fit public auction for, iirc, 30 days. Just put up a bogus flyer in your local post office or gas station.

If nobody comes to claim/ buy the bike during that period ( of course, they won't) then they will give you the title. A clear title good as new.

You can also do a lost title claim, but being international would most likely be a clusterfuck.

I'd see if abandoned vehicle titles are applicable in your area. Just tell them the bike was in the back yard when you bought your house.

These usually go without a hitch. It's in their interest to help you title this bike. They want the taxes.

As far as keys. With an aftermarket ignition switch installed, what about the key for your tank and seat lock.
Thanks I will look into it. I figure that it has to be possible in some way. I'm just expecting Maryland to be typical Maryland and contacting the DMV with questions is always a nightmare. I might try a salvage yard or something near by.

As for the keys, for my build I dont expect to need a seat lock and for the gas cap I dont mind carrying a separate key for the gas cap. I do the same thing for my Jeep so I am used to it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yeah, that's gonna be a tough one. I can almost guarantee a DMV office will have absolutely no idea what to do with your english/german certificate to import, but guess it's worth a shot.

You might be able to contact Kawasaki and request a new MSO- manufacturer's statement of origin. This is what comes with new imported bikes and what you (or the dealer) uses to register it for the first time. Typically you cannot use these as proof of ownership if the bike has been previously registered (the VIN comes back in the dmv computer tied to someone). I don't know if this searches internationally or not.

Otherwise, if you are unable to get duplicate documents for the lost ones (from the military, customs office, or whoever issued them in the first place), you might have to get a frame with a clean title. The "abandoned vehicle" might be worth looking into also to see what MDs requirements are.

Some bikes have codes on the ignition cylinder somewhere that can be used. A locksmith can fit/cut a key to the lock but they will require proof of ownership to do so. A somewhat underhanded way around this is to remove a seat lock or gas cap if possible, and since they are all keyed alike, bring the seat lock to a locksmith and have them fit a key. I said it was for an older bike and the part was no longer available (which was probably true), they didn't have a problem. I did this with an older bike and the key they made worked on the helmet lock I gave them perfectly, and would turn the ignition as well if you jiggled it a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts