Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am working on setting my 92 fzr600.
The pivot point on the r6 swing arm is 1.5" wider than the old fzr one
So I'm going to have to cut down both sides of the swing arm and both sides of the frame.
I'm going to do it on the mill up at my work but what I'm trying to figure out is how much I should take off in which areas

Is the middle of the shock hole on the swingarm suppose to be centerline? And should that line up with dead center on the frame?

And help you can give would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Best bet is to figure out the chain alignment before chopping anything

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But how would I be able to figure that out without getting it fitted in there ?

Sorry if this is a noobish question

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
ouch, holmes. looks tough. the fizzer swingarm is narrower than the structure of the r6 swingarm. you may be better off removing some frame material to accommodate. youre likely going to have to chop the ends off of the swingarm, cut a bearing pocket, makes new inner races for the pivot bolt, grind down the nubs on the frame, and possibly relocate a rearset captive nut.

·
2,296 Posts
what is your pivot width? pivot bolt diameter? is your shock centrally located in the frame? what type of rear suspension is it (ie cushion lever with dogbones, direct engagement, etc)? what size rear axle? you may be better off going with a narrower swingarm.

·
addict
370 Posts
Its been a while since I put my r6 swinger on my fizzer and I used the style before yours but would imagine the frame is the same on the r6 and on mine the r6 swinger isn't centered but I believe the Fzr is and I think you can take more than 10mm out of the Fzr frame on both sides but I still ended up having a lot machined off the r6 swinger and new races put in

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I'm not real worried about the bearing/race/axle because I'm going to put new r6 bearings in and make a new race at my shop with the r 6 od and fzr Id so I can use the fzr axle.

The shock on the fzr is centered but I'm not sure if the r6 is.

I know that if I don't use the dust caps on the new swinger then I just have to lose an 1 1/2" material somewhere. I was planning on taking 1/2" off on each side of the swingarm and 1/4" off each side of the main frame. But idk if the chain will line up correctly if I do that

I have looked over spyders build many times but he didn't take any material off the swingarm he just cut the frame all the way down and welded metal plate in there. Nothing against spyder and his build but that's just not the way I want to do this

·
2,296 Posts
Yea I'm not real worried about the bearing/race/axle because I'm going to put new r6 bearings in and make a new race at my shop with the r 6 od and fzr Id so I can use the fzr axle.

The shock on the fzr is centered but I'm not sure if the r6 is.

I know that if I don't use the dust caps on the new swinger then I just have to lose an 1 1/2" material somewhere. I was planning on taking 1/2" off on each side of the swingarm and 1/4" off each side of the main frame. But idk if the chain will line up correctly if I do that

I have looked over spyders build many times but he didn't take any material off the swingarm he just cut the frame all the way down and welded metal plate in there. Nothing against spyder and his build but that's just not the way I want to do this

he was the only dude i knew of that did an R6 swinger like yours into a fzr. have you ran through the yamaha and fzr boards?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea now that I think about it that really isn't a bad idea, I mean the original part on the frame is just welded in. I guess I could just cut that whole thing out and use a thinner piece of metal there in its place.

I have been looking threw the fzr forums quit a bit but don't see a whole lot on the subject.

I guess I'm just gonna have to go with it and see what happens

·
2,296 Posts
Yea now that I think about it that really isn't a bad idea, I mean the original part on the frame is just welded in. I guess I could just cut that whole thing out and use a thinner piece of metal there in its place.

I have been looking threw the fzr forums quit a bit but don't see a whole lot on the subject.

I guess I'm just gonna have to go with it and see what happens
thats what i had to do with my bandit, but it has been a bumpy road and ive learned alot after making countless mistakes and assumptions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea that's exactly it. Let's just hope that the countless mistakes I make I can recover from lol

I don't give a shit about messing up the swingarm there cheap and a dime a dozen
I just don't want to have to keep buying frames till I get this right lol

·
2,296 Posts
measure your pivot width. i wonder if i have a swingarm that would suit you better and be easier to install.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not completely stuck on the r6 swing as London as whatever I use I can get a 180 tire in there.

I've kind of planned my whole build around the r6 swingarm tho.
Since I have a set of r6 wheels, forks, and r1 brakes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm taking the frame up to the shop today so I'll measure it since all my measuring equipment is there anyways

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It went really well. I had to cut about 50 thousandths off of each side of the swingarm
I'm working out the suspension setup now and Trying to make all my spacers and bearing races
And the rear sets are gonna hit the arm so I'm gonna have to cut off the mounts and move them out about a half inch

·
2,296 Posts
looking good! and you have the hidden magical talent of being able to weld aluminum, the ace in the hole!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts