Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everbody. I'm leaving in about an hour to try and buy an '05 SV650. Any tips on what to look for as far as potential problems or how much to pay? The asking price is $4600.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
check nadaguides.com and kbb for values

as for what to look for....i'd try to bring a mechanic to give it a once over...if you cant get one, give it a close once over...does it look like it was maintained? is te brake fluid dark and cloudy, does the oil look old...does it need oil. What does teh seller look like...a motorcyclist or a squid?. look underneath for pieces of rubber from burnouts....does it start right up...was it warmed up already before you got there? does it need tires....etc etc...

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
If it's from a dealer it should be on warranty, if from a person, check the side of the pegs for scrapes. Ask if they have the extended warranty. If they don't see if you can talk them down further and be like "so there's no extended warranty?"

If the bike is from California, find out if they got the tank replaced. California models were recalled for the tank. The rest of the world are ok.

·
GURU
1,858 Posts
oh, and ask about stunts. Like "so how easy can you get this up?" "how long of a wheelie?"

The SV motor was not made for stunting. If the guy stunts or gives you the remote feeling he stunted, don't buy the bike.

Disclaimer: In no way am I against stunting. Just that certain bikes are better made for the abuse of staying up on one wheel while the SV is better on 2.

·
Then When you done all this, kick the tires and say ahem..can I take it for a test ride..the restr is up to you :evilred: :LolLolLolLol:

·
Listen mate...You are going to buy one of the best value riding motorcycles in the world today,right now.

Not only will it pay back your love an care 100Fold, you WILL find it will be one of the best bikes you ever risked yer wad on, this piece aint about pretty posin' on nekked version crotchrockets this is when you butt fingertips and balls of your feet start to connect you to the tarmac.

One thing I will add is dont get beguiled by add ons and big bore kits for this model...have yer fun then trade up asap to the SVK asap.

No shit but instead of el cheapo suspension and brakes you get an immediate (as stock) upgrade to showa forks and a front brake lifted straight off the Gixer750.

Plus you get the immediate flavor of thr TL V twin stomp that was the fore-runner of this breed.

I am most at home on 130bhp machines but in my heart I know I still miss my first one cause I caned the fkn ass off her and that babe allways came back for more and yours will never let you down either...

I say Go for it and try to screw the dude down to make sure you think you gettin a good deal when leaving him thinkin he got one over on you..

In Fact..think like a buisnessman instead of a punter.

That is..practice on a hoe b4 you try yer tricks on a goddess :party:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
BB_DASLER said:
That is..practice on a hoe b4 you try yer tricks on a goddess :party:

haha. nice. write that down guys!

so let us know how it went!! did you get a new bike??!

if so:

:ttiwwop:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No deal this time. The bike had a bad ding on the tank cover and the dealer wouldn't deal at all!!!

Also, I don't have the equip for uploading pics...sorry!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,640 Posts
how much you selling the 9dizzle for???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts