Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
YOUR A TOWEL
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of question to ask. I'm looking to repaint (rattle can) my tail section how do i go about doing that? i looked and can't find anything on. :wtf:

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
Um. Buy primer, spray primer (even, light coats), buy paint, spray paint (even, light coats). ...more info needed???

·
more ideas than money
945 Posts
sand, paint, repeat

·
Frosty Rider
384 Posts
Try Krylon Fusion, it's made for plastics, no need to prime.

p.s. take your time, thats probably the biggest thing

·
Registered
854 Posts
Prep the area by cleaning it and scuffing it up. Primer if you aren't using something like Krylon Fusion. Hold the nozzle about 6-8" from your workspace, use steady pressure and keep that can moving. Do a bunch of light coats, keeping the coverage even and you should be good to go. FWIW I'm a Krylon user ... used to try and get away with cheap spray paint for my art work but learned quickly you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint.... really depends on how good of a paint job you want i guess. Also keep in mind the environment of the painting area, water and dust will make things really bad.

·
YOUR A TOWEL
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was told that sanding would be bad, if not what grit paper would i use?

Thanks
Ken

·
is not your fucking bro
7,216 Posts
wash your tail section good. get off all the bugs and grime. then sand with a 800 ? you dont want to break the factory paint but you want to break the clear coat. sand till it gets dull looking you dont have to go far. then wash again use water and a mild detergent. like dawn dish soap. then lay either your primer or paint and primer paint like krylon. either way lay a coat till its slighty glossy, dont over due it or you cance runs. let it sit 15 or 20 minutes till the glossy dies out and its becomes dullish, then lay another. due this 5 or 6 times. then let it sit for a good while i let it dry in the garage overnight. then take a 1500 wet sand paper and dip the paper and very lighty sand just enough to clean the top coat and remove any dirt and nibs that set in. then wash with soap and water again. i then use a tac rag which is a cloth that is very sticky and porous and it collects dirt. then i lay another 5 or 6. then do the dry overnight and wetsand,clean,tac rag and then clear coat. use as many clear coats as you want just wetsand and clean every 2 or 3. you wetsand so often so when you get done and wash it you dont pull off a piece of dirt that was in the first coat and then your stuck redoing it or using crappy touch up paint that isnt even goin to think about matching your paint. thats how i paint.

·
YOUR A TOWEL
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool thanks i just got some driving lights from autozone and paint. you guys are the shit. :rock:

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
wash your tail section good. get off all the bugs and grime. then sand with a 800 ? you dont want to break the factory paint but you want to break the clear coat. sand till it gets dull looking you dont have to go far. then wash again use water and a mild detergent. like dawn dish soap. then lay either your primer or paint and primer paint like krylon. either way lay a coat till its slighty glossy, dont over due it or you cance runs. let it sit 15 or 20 minutes till the glossy dies out and its becomes dullish, then lay another. due this 5 or 6 times. then let it sit for a good while i let it dry in the garage overnight. then take a 1500 wet sand paper and dip the paper and very lighty sand just enough to clean the top coat and remove any dirt and nibs that set in. then wash with soap and water again. i then use a tac rag which is a cloth that is very sticky and porous and it collects dirt. then i lay another 5 or 6. then do the dry overnight and wetsand,clean,tac rag and then clear coat. use as many clear coats as you want just wetsand and clean every 2 or 3. you wetsand so often so when you get done and wash it you dont pull off a piece of dirt that was in the first coat and then your stuck redoing it or using crappy touch up paint that isnt even goin to think about matching your paint. thats how i paint.

Koko..you did that red/black bike with rattle can? Very nice work.

·
more ideas than money
945 Posts
personally I just use walmart rattle can, .96 a can and if it screws up just redo it.

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
YOUR A TOWEL
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i just buy both of them and see what i like the best. ;)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i used fusion on my hugger...seems ok.

they sell a primer specific for the fusion also..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts