Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have just signed up in order to use this valuable resource. I came by the site when searching for information on the Honda VF400 as I have just acquired a 1983 version which has stood unused for many years. The idea was originally to create a hybrid cafe racer/fighter, but the project might end up being a replica of the F3 version that Honda produced an 'add on kit' for.

Here is a picture of the bike pre-strip down and an image of the F3 version.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I now have a stripped frame, and a very clear picture of what the finished bike 'should' look like. I have changed my plans away from the F3 version (for this build at least, as I have enough parts to build another project!)) and am producing a take on the 'cafe racer' theme, influenced by the Gilera Saturno on Otternero Cafe Racer site (picture attached). I agree that trying to keep the frame as naked as possible is the way to go, while using red and white for the main colours will also lend to the finished bike. In particular, and to help with the cafe racer style, I am retaining the inboard discs, as they do look a little like drum brakes. Add spokes instead of Comstar 'plates' and it should work aesthetically well. I am pretty well advanced in the wheel/brake work, and will post pics later. To minimise heat transfer from the brake pads to the fluid, I have produced ceramic 'plugs' for the pistons, so hopefully, the much talked about 'VF400F brake fade will not be a problem. Mind you, that is probably more associated with lack of maintenance.......

So, things progressing quite well apart from convincing my wife that a return to 2 wheels is a good idea! Not helped by big accident I had on Sunday, in my car, when a biker, on a Yamaha Fazer in oncoming traffic, attempted to pass a slowing car and totally misjudged it. He clipped the back of a Merc estate, lost control and literally threw the bike at the exact bit of tarmac that I was just about to occupy. The bike went under my car (a Mitsubishi Grandis 7 seater), which launched me skywards, coming to a stop some 80m down the verge. I was travelling at about 50mph at the time, so you can imagine the impact. My first thought was that the rider was under my car and I would be dealing with a fatality, so I was pretty surprised to find that he had slid between my car and the one he hit and had nothing more that a few bruises. Looks like my car is totalled as is his bike. One fork slider was snapped into 2 parts by the impact with the road and a large chunk of tarmac removed.

At least we are all here to tell the tale, but my wife's view of 2 wheel safety has been even further tarnished.

C'est la vie

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.