Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am new here, clearly, and I am happy to be here. What turned me onto this site was Garlic_Sauce's posts regarding his projects, might I add he does a spectacular job, as you all know!

So the reason why I got turned to his posts was because I just picked up a 1980 Yamaha XS400 and I am looking to cafe the hell out of it, the only problem is, I have no idea where to start! The way I came across this bike was my buddy was looking to get rid of it, so I offered him 30 hours of my time for it, I couldn't pass up that deal. So he gave me the bike, in pieces. He said all the parts were there with the exception of the wheels, and the fork stems. That being said can anybody tell me what parts might fit in place of the stock, to make the front end lower. Not only that tips on making a cafe seat and rear would be greatly appreciated.

I also own a Honda CX500C that I am planning on also cafe'ing once I have the 400 up and running. I will post pics in exchange for suggestions and tips!

Also if there is any chance of people wanting to rid themselves of either spoked or mag wheels please let me know I would love to have the opportunity to take them off your hands.

Thank you all, I cannot wait to hear from you.

I have attached a picture of my CX500, I picked at baby up for $500, not too shabby!

Attachments

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
I might have some stuff for the XS400, send me a private message.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
welcom in mate ,al I got here are Kawasaki wheels ~lots of tha fookin things~probly some cobweby Suzy ones upstairs;) .Soeey I caint help but fer sure someone will here!

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
Welcome to CF. Since you said it was "in pieces," the first thing to do is assemble what you have, make sure it runs and make a list of any parts you need.

Then, look at a bunch picture/blogs/etc of cafe bikes. Figure out some definite styling cues you wish to include.
A couple of good ones.

http://www.pipeburn.com/

This one has not only bikes but also random female nudity :D

http://www.caferacerculture.net/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to CF. Since you said it was "in pieces," the first thing to do is assemble what you have, make sure it runs and make a list of any parts you need.

Then, look at a bunch picture/blogs/etc of cafe bikes. Figure out some definite styling cues you wish to include.
A couple of good ones.

http://www.pipeburn.com/

This one has not only bikes but also random female nudity :D

http://www.caferacerculture.net/

Thanks for the advice I will do that ASAP. Right now I am dealing with a few space constraints but I will do what I can! I have been looking at tutorials on fiberglass seats, what's your guy's opinion on them?

Thanks!

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Thanks for the advice I will do that ASAP. Right now I am dealing with a few space constraints but I will do what I can! I have been looking at tutorials on fiberglass seats, what's your guy's opinion on them?

Thanks!
Much easier than you think, just make sure it meets well with your gas tank!

If you've got limited space to work with, come up with a solid plan before you start and keep your space super organized or else it all falls apart and becomes overly-stressful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mean its small, about 4'x8'. I will make do with what I've got, stay organized and take pictures. I'll be going down to Oregon to ride the dunes this weekend but I should have some time shortly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now that i am back from Oregon i will be able to start work on my xs, unfortunately my cx500C has crapped out on me so i have to fix that first, i think its just the CDI but we will see once i can get my hands on a working one, if that's not the problem it looks like ill be replacing the stator :-/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I was able to test my CDI on another, fully functional, 1980 CX500C and that isn't the issue. Does anyone have or know where I can pickup a used stator for it?

Thanks for you help guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts