Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Zippy Z
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my motorcycle license. It's been a rough road for me the past year lots of changes including three different jobs.

One in particular actually paid for me to get my motorcycle license through an MSF course so cheaper insurance! I bought my first bike last July 7th actually. The one year anniversary of my Grandpa passing away which was terrible so it's a bit strange that was the exact day I purchased a bike. I bought a 2015 Ninja 300 don't hate I know I should of bought something bigger or used even for cheaper. Yet I wanted NEW and this is the first new vehicle I've ever purchased. Do I want to upgrade already? Yes I do. I've put 6,566 miles on it 6,000 in the first fourth months. I've been riding in WI already for a month. Skipping the days when it snows... or there's salt on the ground.

I'm test riding a Street Triple R, 675r, and RSV4 RR in one month!
I know they're not fighters but I'm sorry I have come to a conclusion of other things in mind since I've started riding. I was also at IMS in Chicago on Valentine's Day with my amazing new girlfriend.

Last time I was on here I was unemployed and just out of a failed engagement so I feel a lot better now the bike is AMAZING. So I still love fighters but I plan on going for something wicked fast(rsv4 or daytona) and keeping the 300 to take the gf on rides still or give to her.

Otherwise I really want to buy a Street Triple R and ride it for a year. Then Turbo build it which if I do I will GRAVELY need your guy's help with.

I'm glad the Forum is still around and I'm happy to see a Triumph Street Triple build followed after I posted the 226 Horsepower Street Triple.

The Shoei RF1200 is my new helmet and yes it's AMAZING. New gear this year and getting my girlfriend into motorcycles she already has better gear than I do....

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had a chance to sample a Tuono V4 last summer, it was a 1000, not the brandy-new 1100. Fast, but not the total insanity I was kind of expecting from the power numbers. Seat was made of teflon coated in butter. It tended not to start if it got heat-soaked in traffic. So you know, typical Italian stuff. We lined up a couple times and my Z1000 hung right onto it's license plate, surprising since the Tuono should have easily walked away from me "on paper".

Triumph is updating the Speed Triple for this year, might be worth a look.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Good looks on going through the course, I had been riding for a while when I went through. But I did still learn a bunch of good things.

How do you like the ninja?

I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for a crashed one for a project for a little while now. I'm the type of rider who prefers to ride a slow bike fast instead of a fast bike slow...

·
Zippy Z
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The modification bug will bite you soon. When it does, but sure to have a 2nd bike that runs :D
I need an exhaust and right now I need to update my gear to actually decent shit. I just got the RF1200 and I'm getting some gauntlet gloves, and boots. (astars) I wanted to get leathers but can't really afford $700 for them. Um yea there's a ton of shit I want like a gopro and sena to lol. I also am not super motivated to modify the 300 because of such small gains.

·
Zippy Z
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good looks on going through the course, I had been riding for a while when I went through. But I did still learn a bunch of good things.

How do you like the ninja?

I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist for a crashed one for a project for a little while now. I'm the type of rider who prefers to ride a slow bike fast instead of a fast bike slow...
Yea the course was very helpful left it ready to conquer the world mentality then I got my bike and I had cars right behind me on the ride home. I was like CRAP this is only 40mph? I feel like I'm going 80. That vanished soon the Ninja is ok it tops out at 112 which I can confirm. I had it going 111 on the freeway up a hill into headwind lol. Um the power is linear and builds up it's not instant. The bike is VERY forgiving which I can't stress enough. FORGIVING, you can make mistakes and the bike will shimmy and let you know you fucked up. Yet it doesn't throw you off of it like say a bike with a stiff chassis.

Lets just say with my short riding experience I have no issue keeping up with 1000's in the twisties and it's a blast man I really do love just giving it the beans and just blasting through the corners. The issue is commuting and what not I do get bored now but I get bored of things faster than most people. That said every time i hit the twisties I have a huge grin on my face and it reminds me how much I love my damn little 300. Surprisingly most of the feedback I've received has been extremely positive. The few negative comments I've gotton have also been from "if you're not on a 1000 you're a pussy" type people. Yet those guys tend to also stiffen up and crawl around corners haha.

It's fun man and could definitely due with upgraded brake pads, tires, adjustable levers, exhaust, maybe a new map / tune, possibly new bars like clip ons for sportbike feel. then the slightly different sprockets like -2 +1 or what not type setup. Otherwise it's a nice little bike and I love it so far. Everything is also generally very easy to get to because they designed the bike with beginners in mind. So it's not horrendous to do anything to it just yet.

Power loss with a passenger on it but it is still quick for only 35hp. I beat a c7 on it already lol.

·
Zippy Z
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grats on the license duder, its good to be legit on the road! I dig the new surge of lightweights out lately and that ninja looks pretty sharp.
Thanks it's decent looking. It's actually almost impossible to tell the difference when it sits next to the zx6r besides the obvious headers and skinnier tires.

I have a ton of pics of it on my instagram

http://iconosquare.com/zippy_triple

·
Zippy Z
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a chance to sample a Tuono V4 last summer, it was a 1000, not the brandy-new 1100. Fast, but not the total insanity I was kind of expecting from the power numbers. Seat was made of teflon coated in butter. It tended not to start if it got heat-soaked in traffic. So you know, typical Italian stuff. We lined up a couple times and my Z1000 hung right onto it's license plate, surprising since the Tuono should have easily walked away from me "on paper".

Triumph is updating the Speed Triple for this year, might be worth a look.
What I do know is that the new R1 pulls harder than the RSV4. I'm not sure how the Tuono compares to the RR but I'm definitely going to ride the rr. Um what does it for me is the feeling and the sound. I'm a sucker for feel in everything. Example my guitars have to be light and have a thin neck I'm super picky with particular things. The RSV4 RR weights 397 lbs that's like the same weight as my 300 and it has six times the power! It's fucking insane and to me personally nothing compares to the sound. So I want to feel what it will be like around corners because if it's good I'm sold. The new R1 isn't bad either I just thought it was a little uncomfortable but I could probably get over that.

That said I got to check out an MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster and it's FUCKING AMAZING it weights as much as a damn bicycle. Well that's what it feels like but 17,000 ahhhh expensive.

OH and by the way did you ride a 2015 model? SIGNIFICANT changes all around on the 2016's... like so much so I would not purchase a 2015. Making them at home on the road. Just like I would not purchase a 2013 or 2014 Triumph. The changes they made to the daytona are VAST for 15 refining the last bits of the bike.

Usually I'm not super big on that but when both of those bikes are in their last stages of life it's best to get the best version especially for only a few more bucks at that point.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I think my buddy's was a '14, last year he had just got it as a leftover. I read the new 1100's had a lot of updates done to them, including more power.

The V4 is a nice setup, I used to have a Magna, then a Vmax, and the definitely have more personality to them than the typical inline. The Vmax with supertrapps sounded just like a big block chevy, best sounding bike I've ever had.

The Brutale 800 is kind of like the FZ09's rich European uncle. Undeniably sexy bike. Unfortunately, it seems MV's future is fairly uncertain, once again. They're in bankruptcy, again, and looking for some new owner/investor, again. I'd have a hard time buying a bike from a company on such shaky ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts