Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Been lurking around on here for a while. Got my hands on a couple SportBikes late last fall from my buds tow yard. It has taken a few months to get the all of the paperwork done. Just got my titles last week!!!!
Got a K4 R6 and a K5 GSXR600. Both run great, the GSXR has damage to every body part except the tank. The R6 has a few scratches.
I think I will sell the R6 to fund the GSXR. The GSXR 's power comes in a little sooner than the R6. That should make it more fun around town.
I am going to put on some tires, chain/sprockets, dirty bars and strip off all of the body work first,then go at it from there.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
I have 2 gixxers now, just sold my 3rd. On my 4th r6 and would keep that over a gixxer any day.

I have an 07 and an 06 gixxer now and an 07 r6, guess which ones are getting sold by the end of the month... hint... not the r6.

They're nimbler, smaller, with better performing engines and stronger frames. May not be lighter but FEELS so much smaller. And if u are going to fighter it, I personally like the naked r6 frame much better.

I have yet to ride a gixxer (except my homie's stunt setup 08) that I like more than its equivalent r6. Still good bikes and I still buy them but if it's either or, r6 all the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Doc.
I decided to head home early after I read your reasoning.
The R6 pulls hard from 8000 RPM to the moon!!!!
The Gixxer comes in at around 5000 RPM and pulls hard also.
I am just going to be using which ever one around town and will not be in the upper revs that much.
Even though I will be using dirtybars and it will definitely change my riding position my 6' frame feels cramped on the R6. Not so much on the Gixxer. I did some crude measurements with a tape measure. The height from the pegs to the seat is about 1 1/2" higher on the Gixxer. And the pegs are about 1" inch further back on the R6 also.
I am definitely leaning more towards the Gixxer. It needs tires, brakes, sprockets, chain. fork seals, etc. and the body work is horrible. I just noticed that the headlight is being held into the front fairing by silicone!
It is going to be a hard sell in the condition it is in.
The R6 on the other hand can be sold as is for more.

What do I need to look out for on the K5 Gixxer?
Are their any major issues.
If I keep it for the rest of my life's riding time It will never have more than 10,000 more miles on it. So I do not think engine longevity will be an issue.

I should sell both of them. I have too much shit now.

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
i would do an oil pick up mod and ignition advancer, -1+2 sprockets. exhaust and power commander if u have the means, all that will liven it up big time. then r6/r1 monoblocks for brakes

and make sure u get that master cylinder recall done, free brake fluid change with it ;)

i can see how the gixxer may feel better to bigger guy. im 150 pounds on a good day.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to the CF way of life THBertson!! Good to have you aboard. Got any pictures? We LOVE pics & they don't have to be 'purdy'.....;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i would do an oil pick up mod and ignition advancer, -1+2 sprockets. exhaust and power commander if u have the means, all that will liven it up big time. then r6/r1 monoblocks for brakes

and make sure u get that master cylinder recall done, free brake fluid change with it ;)

i can see how the gixxer may feel better to bigger guy. im 150 pounds on a good day.

Thanks for the info!

I am going to work on getting it through inspection first. Maryland is a bitch for that!!!

I just ordered the -1+2 sprockets chain and a pair of Pilots. A buddy has a set of pads for the front and rear he is going to give me.

After that I will need to get some reflectors and other shit on it to pass.

Geared up I am around 220#

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is there some kind of notification that I can turn on when someone replies to this post that will send me an email?

·
Stunt Cock
35 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I am going to work on getting it through inspection first. Maryland is a bitch for that!!!

I just ordered the -1+2 sprockets chain and a pair of Pilots. A buddy has a set of pads for the front and rear he is going to give me.

After that I will need to get some reflectors and other shit on it to pass.

Geared up I am around 220#
I hear you, good thing my bike is historic :). I would like to find a decently priced shop around here to do a general safety inspection on my bike though. Better to have a 2nd set of eyes looking at it.

·
Stunt Cock
35 Posts
lovin the streeted-out dirt bikes. Good to see you have your little one climbing on bikes so soon, my little girl is too scared of daddys bike - too loud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lovin the streeted-out dirt bikes. Good to see you have your little one climbing on bikes so soon, my little girl is too scared of daddys bike - too loud.
It's a lot of fun riding my dirtbike on the street. I am afraid that it is putting some strain on the transmission though. It is kind of notchy shifting up and down at higher RPMs. There is no give with the sticky tires. I heard that a company was making a sprocket with a cush drive built into it but the first batch had some issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear you, good thing my bike is historic :). I would like to find a decently priced shop around here to do a general safety inspection on my bike though. Better to have a 2nd set of eyes looking at it.
You may not need a second set of eyes. Just be anal when it comes to every part of your bike.
Keep a close eye on your tires, brakes, suspension, chain, sprockets, etc. Make sure nothing is leaking. Some fork oil leaking onto you front pads/shoes can cause problems real quick.
Make sure all of your bearings are greased and in good condition.
I always give my bikes a quick once over before I even start them for a ride. If you keep her clean it is easy to spot leaks and what not.

Make sure every bolt is tight. If you can not find torque settings for your bike due to age there are some charts online that can give you an idea based on bolt thread diameter. Just remember that some bolts are steel and are threaded into aluminum and the values may not apply.

I come from a dirtbike back ground so I am used to bearings, seals, pistons, rings, etc needing to be replaced sometimes a couple times a year. So I am always expecting something is wearing out.

Also engine oil, engine oil, engine oil!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts