Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
well, my rates are lower than most b/c i don't have the overhead that most shops do, but $1400can?? DAYUM.

sure you didn't add a zero by accident? that's NUTS.

the coils themselves are about $50 (us) a piece, the ignition pickup isn't much usually, the only thing that's expensive is the "black box" that runs the f.i. and ignition systems, that's just over $1000 (us).

i HIGHLY doubt the black box crapped out, but if it did, look around e-bay and get one for ALOT less.

if it's just coils or an ignition pickup, your mechanic is b/s'ing you.

what's the bike doing (or not doing)?

the computer is the LAST thing you should ever have to replace. there's no easy way to test them, other than finding a loaner and seeing if the bike runs with the known good one. the rest of the ignition parts can be tested with a multimeter and a manual (for specs)

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went to take my bike out for a ride today and at first it started awsome and rode great(this is the first ride of the year)
i stopped for food and when i came out my bike didnt start,it was only sitting for 1/2 hour,so i got my truck and took it back home and let it warm up and recharged my battery

then it woulodnt start for a bit alls it did was a make a clicking sound

rechaagred the batterey then popped it in and then it satred,so i whent for a ride and 20 minutes into it the bike starts bogging down real bad and then dyes so i clutch start it to keep goin and it keeps dying
then my fi light keeps coming on as well as a red light???
then my gauges die
it took a while but i finally got it home

i posted this on another site a couple of weeks ago

i guess i should add to this-i went and saw my mechanic and he said my plugs were fouled and was of my cylinders were filled with gas,he think its the blck box thingy

any ideas guy

i dont wanna pay $1400 for nothing

·
the Gixxer is BACK!
1,425 Posts
Did you take it to "Year Round"??? Hey greeny, if you don't like turning wrenches I'll fix it for ya, I charge a case of beer to install parts! LOL

Make sure your airbox is tight to the carbs/throttle bodies, and tight to the cylinders. Was it wet fouling or dry fouling? Dry fouling indicates a lean condition...wet indicates you're running rich. Do you know how to test your plug wires? go from the plugs and work your way back and try to diagnose the problem.

If you're sure its the box on your 929, then hit up ebay, they can be found for cheap!!!

Here ya go, $199US
http://cgi.ebay.ca/00-01-HONDA-CBR9...ryZ34284QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

19 hrs to go and cheaper:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/00-01-Honda-CBR-...ryZ35594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ryan

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya my bikes at year round,im gunna go there tomorrow and take another look at it

as far as the box goes,ill wait and see if adam has one first,i trust him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more then a e-gay buy:metal:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,713 Posts
The Green Lantern said:
yo adam you gots a black box kickin around,cuze i think thats whats jacked up

yes. yes i do. :D

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
your black box is fine greenie. they either work, or they don't. the fact that it started at all tells me it's ok.

sounds to me like you have a charging system problem. there's only 3 parts of a charging system. first things first, check the plug with the 3 yellow wires in it that goes from the stator to the voltage regulator. i see alot of them (including my 954's once) get corroded, which builds up alot of heat, and the plug melts.

if the plug is fine, here's how you check the charging system.

1. - with the bike running, put a voltmeter across the battery terminals. when you run the bike up to about 3k-4k rpm, the voltage should go up with rpm. should be around 13.5 volts at about 3500rpm. if it's low, or not rising with rpm, you have a charging system problem.

2. again, with the bike running, put a voltmeter across any combination of the 3 yellow wires from the stator (without the stator plugged in) the voltmeter should be on AC voltage. you should get the same reading on any combination of the 3 wires. if you don't get the same reading, or one doesn't read anything, the stator has a break in one of the windings.
while you're there, shut the bike off, and check for continuity to ground from any of the 3 yellow wires. there should be no continuity from any of the 3 yellow wires to ground. if there is, the stator is shorted. if it's reading fine, you either have a crap battery, or more than likely, a crap voltage regulator. honda voltage regulators SUCK and dump quite often.

3. - put a good charge on the battery and test it with a load tester (auto parts store can do this for you if you don't have a load tester)
if it doesn't test good replace it.

4. - once you know you have a good battery and a good stator, recheck the voltage across the battery with the bike running like in step 1, if it's still not charging, replace the regulator.

just be warned, when one part of the charging system "goes", sometimes it takes out other parts in the process, so you may need more than one part.

the reason your gauges turn off and the fi light comes on is probably because the charging system isn't woprking, and the bike is running just off the battery. it'll only run right as long as the battery holds a charge. once the charge starts to drop off, there's not enough voltage to run the fi system correctly, or the guages (or the lights, or anything else for that matter), and the bike won't have enough juice to restart once it shuts off.

whoever told you you need a $1400 computer should be smacked. like i said, a black box replacement is a last resort. even if you had to replace EVERY part in the charging system, it woulnd't cost you $1400, even with labor.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
ALOT of people here know what they're talking about. that's one of my favorite things about this place! i just happened across this thread before someone else who would know did.

thanks though :D

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Yeah I know a lot of people here do. I didn't mean there weren't others. I just happen to see your name on everyone of these threads trying to help out.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
trav72 said:
Yeah I know a lot of people here do. I didn't mean there weren't others. I just happen to see your name on everyone of these threads trying to help out.

that's what i do :D

i'm one of the lucky people that has a job doing what i love to do. everyone here loves to ride/wrench, and if i can help people keep on ridin/wrenching, i'll do it, any time.
:skrooz: :knucks:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
sanitys said:
awesome writeup skrooz, i was going to suggest something was wrong with the charging system but you beat me to it
huh? what? i was staring at your avatar... :D

thanks for the kind words guys. glad everyone could follow it. hopefully it'll narrow down greenies problem with his 929.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.