Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, As a few of you might know ive been trying to get this gsf 600 back off the ground for a while,.. and have shown my persistence with it by sticking by it even though I swear I have a brain tumor developing because of it, "no offence those who may know someone with a brain tum our, more a figure of speech here"...Anyhoo, I had found that the airbox had not been letting the bike run correctly and got hold of another with the mesh inside of it, "As the other one dint have this" The bike has a New K&N air filter on it too,.. We noticed "someone" eg My brother left the fuel tank on "Prime" Which as a few will know leaked fuel right through the bike,.. + into the oil etc, the bike then needed an air out and oil and oil filter change, which has been done,.. I also stripped back the carbs "which must be a uk spec set as the mixture screw on it is adjustable" I had checked the specs in the haynes manual which said stock spec is one and 7 8ths of a turn out from the seated position,.. I had set the carbs back to spec,...Refitted it all and "assumed" the idle screw was set correctly,...hosed everything up correctly,...popped on a new battery, and tried turning it over,...Now as the carbs were empty i flicked it onto prime for literally 3 seconds only" then placed it back on to the on position,...I tried turning the bike over "it hadnt got the end can fitted as i was doing this for my bro whilst he was at work" but the most i got was a start up then a rev down and cut out to not wanting to fire at all,...Now the 3 things i noticed were I had fuel coming out of one of the carbs breather hoses,.. as well as some fuel! yeas fuel dripping out from the connector pipe of the exhaust!?....:oops: Dont know why?...or how...leaving that a side for a second,.. i feel the pilot screw/mixture screw needs adjusting,...But I also need to figure out Why I have fuel wanting to come out of one of the breathers,..I had thought that "perhaps" the float in one of the carbs had got stuck?...But I had checked them and they seemed fine and to spec????.....So Right now if anyone can give me any ideas that would be great I checked one of the plugs and it was black and sooted,..these were new plugs recently but they were fitted before the whole fuel in the oil scenario,... Cheers for all the Helpful help up to this point people, if I dint find the information useful i wouldnt come back here asking for help full stop,..I feel that although its proper baby steps right now,.. i might be able to get her running soon with ur help

I am planning to stick about on here all tonight to try and figure this out, Many thanks, And for those who know me, I got my busa sorted out too finally ;)

G

·
Fuel is coming out of the carb for one of these reasons
#1 you have a dirty needle jet
#2 your float height is incorrect
#3 your fuel tap is on prime
#4 your fuel tap is knackered

Fuel is coming from the exhaust for one of the above reasons + you previously left it on prime
Also look at your manual again the air screw setting for uk bikes is expressed as a number of turns out from seated IE 2 or 2.5 etc etc not 7/8

You also need to check that you actually have stock jets & needles before trying to set the carbs as with a jet kit its a whole different matter, once you are sure what you have & its all set up correctly, bench sync the carbs before fitting then properly sync when it runs

& you need to get rid of the fuel in the oil, exhaust & probably the barrels before trying to start it again, turning it over without the plugs in should clear the barrels & exhaust

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok let me start with a picture from our haynes manual,..IT states 1 + 7/8ths turn out not 2 turns or 2.5 as pictured,...

Also We removed the sparkplugs which were fouled a little "obviously from the oil and fuel which made its way in" and turned the bike over it spat out a shot of oil and fuel still but the tops are now airing out, to make sure theres none left,

When i checked and got fuel out of the breather it wasnt on prime for longer than 3 seconds but continued when the tap was on "ON" the tap cant be screwed as when the tanks off the bike the fuel only releases when on prime, and not when on res or "on"

When the carbs were off the needle jets were soaked and dried and cleaned, The floats height, Id not have a clue on, But they were not touched since the bike was running fine before hand,....

Whilst the plugs were out i checked them against the frame for a spark and it was really rather weak, and hardly sparking perhaps we also had a coil issue underlying the problem from the begining,...But this doesnt solve the fuel leak problem....

I have looked on how to check the float levels and will get on that to make sure that its not them , Ive seen its a case of holding the carbs at a 45 degree angle and measuring from the side of the carb to where the float rests on that 45 degree angle and adjust accordingly???

G

·
:oops: My mistake on the air screw setting i read your original post wrong

The rest still applies there are only a couple of reasons for carbs leaking fuel & i listed them, your carbs are incorrectly set or blocked ...... simples :)

Another quick thought if you had the whole bike stripped are the the coil wires on the right way round & are the leads on right ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:oops: My mistake on the air screw setting i read your original post wrong

The rest still applies there are only a couple of reasons for carbs leaking fuel & i listed them, your carbs are incorrectly set or blocked ...... simples :)

Another quick thought if you had the whole bike stripped are the the coil wires on the right way round & are the leads on right ?

See my bro cleaned up the terminals on the coils ages ago,.. and I couldnt say if they were all the right way round im sure the ht leads are tho,.. i just checked the floats on the carbs, and IF im right with how ive adjusted them,.. I dint push them down,.. nor have them hanging out, but adjusted them so where they seat, they are at 17mm and if they were to hang out "Eg the carbs turned upside down they are 22mm, ....But the manual states 17mm,...Was right to have them lightly seated at 17mm right? if so those are sorted now,... I will double check the jets etc to make sure they are 100% clean too,... Now back to the mixture screw,...He has got an after market can on the bike and a K&N airfilter,... would it be an idea to turn the screw out to "Perhaps" 2 turns instead of 1 + 7/8ths?

He is going to order a tank tap seal kit, "to rule out it being that"

We are also picking up a compression gauge to check the compression of each cylinder

And he is ordering a new pair of coils.

Really fighting this bike to get it going again

Cheers for the help so far i do appreciate the input

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUMP _ -

i just checked the floats on the carbs, and IF im right with how ive adjusted them,.. I dint push them down,.. nor have them hanging out, but adjusted them so where they seat, they are at 17mm and if they were to hang out "Eg the carbs turned upside down they are 22mm, ....But the manual states 17mm,...Was right to have them lightly seated at 17mm right? if so those are sorted now,... I will double check the jets etc to make sure they are 100% clean too,... Now back to the mixture screw,...He has got an after market can on the bike and a K&N airfilter,... would it be an idea to turn the screw out to "Perhaps" 2 turns instead of 1 + 7/8ths?????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.