Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi to everyone

I hail from the great white north (Canada) where our riding seasons are brutally short, the good news is that this leaves plenty of time to build and work on my bikes.

I recently bought a 1992 Kawasaki ZX750J (often referred to as a ZX7). After buying this bike and deciding that I wanted to fighter it I found this site and it's awesome! Tons of inspiration and great bikes!

So I got the bike running and tuned up and now I want to focus on cosmetics. I know what I'm doing with the front end: acerbis "vision" headlight and chopped down stock fairing to make a belly pan. I'm also going to instal a trail tech vapor. The tail end however is where I need help. I placed my friends old gixxer 1000 (2003) tail on the bike (after removing the rear half of the subframe) and it looks great best it would need a ton of cutting and fabricating mounts. Has anyone ever swapped tails on an old ZX7, ZXR or even better a 1992 ZX750J? If so what did you use and how hard/easy was it. What I'm hoping for is to find a tail that will also most bolt straight on, use the stock seat and will not need any welding or swapping of sub frames - not too much to ask eh?

Pics below:

Thanks for any help ideas guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice yantosh. Mongoose I'm in whistler, looking like an early riding season for us eh?

Anyone got any input on tails that are easy installs on ols zx7's or ZXR's?

Also, the chain fucked on this bike so I'm going to throw on a gold chain but I can't find any accurate info on the pitch and length of the ZX750J chain (even in manual). Anyone know?

Cheers everyone

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I should add... which 'vision' headlight are you going to run? I have one and they don't exactly throw out tones of light.. so little I swapped it out.

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
I don't think any tail swap ever will let you use the stock seat in the stock position, if that's what you're after.

Nice looking bike, though... Love the old dual round headlight bikes. One of the few designs I wouldn't want to tear apart in order to throw a round headlight on. :D
I'd throw a round headlight on, cut down the passenger seat so it isn't big and blocky, raise the tail a bit, chop the muffler down, and call it a day.
The stock forks on that bike are sexy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys thanks for the ideas.

Yep the forks on this bike are dead sexy, along with the full stainless exhaust system (which I agree I should cut down) and the black frame.

here's the headlight I'm going to use (painted flat black like the bike though):

here's what the bike currently looks like with the stock tail back on - i hate it! waaay to big and blocky and I don't think it can be effectively cut down:

and this is my inspiration - can anyone tell me what tail is on this bike? I've tried searching all the CBR's, ZX's, SV's, R1/6's and Gixxers and I cannot find what it is - any ideas? this bike has the MT-03 headlight which also looks sick!

thanks everyone

·
Isn't as dumb as he seems
549 Posts
Fairly sure that's a ZX7R tail with a seat cowl.

EDIT: No, I'm wrong... The part where it meets the tank is angled differently. The rest is close, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts