Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Hi, I am Stimpee and I am a Noob...

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  stimpee 
#1 ·
Another Noob here. 44 years old, 4 kids, and just got back into motorcycles after 16+ years away.

Current Bike is my commuter/all-around 2006 K1200 GT pictured below.

I just bought two 2005 Ninja 250's, one for myself and one for my 14yo son (who had been racing go-karts for the past 3 years). His is nice and running, and he just got his CCS racing license 2 weeks ago. My bike is totally stripped down to bare frame to get cleaned up and prepped. Thought about building it as a street fighter, but think I may still need some aero for the track, so not sure.

But that process, and the enjoyment of the tear down/build so far has me thinking about building a street fighter or two from some more modern crashed/damaged sport bikes.

Spent my time away from bikes messing with cars, in particular building custom twin screw supercharger setups for BMW inline sixes. But after getting back on two wheels, resistance is futile and everything is back centered around things that lean properly!

I look forward to learning from everyone!

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to cF

#4 ·
We require pictures of previous projects. Good for your son for racing. I wish I was afforded the opportunity at that age

#5 ·
Yep, he's a lucky kid! My mom wouldn't let me anywhere near a dirt bike, go-kart, street bike, etc when I was a kid!

As for pictures of previous projects:

Blower/intake manifold assembly with integral intercooling I designed/developed and ultimately sold/marketed about 15 kits thru Active Autowerke in Miami for BMW inline 6. We sold kits for 6 months or so and then the BMW aftermarket recess fight started and someone else bought exclusivity to the compressors, so we canned it...

Prototype Kit in car

Prototype Cast Intake Manifold

Final Kit in car

Prototype Kit on 1993 325is Dyno

Aluminum/Carbon Inlet Housing

Production Intake Manifold/Intercooler/Supercharger Assembly

Link to article in EuroTuner (I am Stephen Andersen): http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicles/160_1994_bmw_330i/

All of this was between 2001-2005. I have been a bit gun-shy to get involved in stuff since then due to how much money I lost...

#6 ·
Very impressive work!! I make cool shit for a living, I don't pass out complements lightly.

You should definitely pick up a nice bike to build a fighter out of. Your son is going to need a spare bike anyways.

#7 ·
Thanks for the positive comments, it was certainly very rewarding, and I need to get back into that again since my job now is basically driving a desk...

I did all of the design and assembly/integration work myself. I did have a lot of help on certain things with some of the CNC machining, rapid prototyping of the cast manifold, etc from others. But certainly pushed my design, machining, and welding skills to the limits.

I don't have equipment anymore (used to have a shop at work that had tons of capability, as well as stuff at home). But hopefully I can start to rebuild the capabilities.

I am going to hang out and learn for a while, and hopefully join the fray here soon. Debating on whether to go with a Japanese 600, a Literbike, or maybe even be really stupid and try to build a Ducati since that was my last street bike before I dropped of the motorcycle map.

I am having a lot of fun looking at the things people have done already though.

My biggest issue now is that I think I need to stick an A/C in my garage, since it is unbearable in the FL summer heat in there right now!

Steve

#9 ·
Damn, those are some nice bikes & cars. How do you like the doulever on the K1200? Its a long term goal of mine to build a Hossak front end bike, would like to know how it pans out in a fully developed design.

How'd you get the kind involved in go-kart racing? Not sure I could afford it, but I'd like to give my son (now 2) a chance to learn wrenching and go racing, because I never had that growing up.

#12 ·
I haven't had the Beamer for very long so not sure I can give a full assessment. It is awesome under heavy braking. However I might have to agree with some of the reviews I have read where it can be a bit vague when riding hard. It has never given me a reason NOT to trust it but perhaps is a bit less feedback to reinforce confidence.

As for karting, we started him at a local indoor kart track up north at a summer camp when he was 10. He did that for a bit and got really quick. We bought a cadet kart that is used for 8-12 year olds which is basically a weed wacker motor on steroids. Total momentum kart.

He started racing on that and we continued for about 3 years. But in fl there are too many people with money who spend 100-150k per year on their kids racing. When you finish 8th of 20+ in a race but at least 5-6 of the kids in front of you have six figure racing budgets it gets a bit frustrating...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.