Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found your site and hope you don't mind a woman from the UK joining you :)

Returned to biking after a long absence and just got my full licence in March this year. My first 'big' bike is a Honda CBR600F2 (1993) which has ended up being modded a fair bit by myself and my fiancee. We are not mechanics and are just finding our way when it comes to working on the bike, but we have managed to put a Yamaha TRX850 front end on my CBR and it has taught us a lot by trial and error LOL

The bike is nowhere near finished yet, but came here to get some inspiration.
This pic is before we put the TRX front end on but at this stage we had changed the tank, put the stickers on and painted some of the engine silver to see how it looked. More pics later.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. That horrible lump is the original clocks which stick out and ruin the whole front end of the bike. Waiting for new digital clocks cos I can't wait to get rid of the old ones.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF Selena! Nice intro & nice bike, so REPPED you! :D Women are welcome around here....;)

Reactions: Selena

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't logged on for a couple of days and find all these new replies :)

Thanks for the lovely welcome everyone. I am well aware that it can get addictive LOL When I get a chance I will post some pics of how the bike started out - It already looks tons better and I keep getting tempted with new mods to put on it - some out of necessity, and others just cos they look good.

The bike has been off the road since 2nd June as the last time I rode it, the fork seal, which according to the MOT had "light misting", peed fork oil all over the left hand brake caliper and disc. That was a very interesting 30 mile ride back home, especially as my back brake isn't bedded in very well yet. Good job you can use engine braking on the CBR. Its very frustrating as the sun has been shining quite a lot here and I can't ride it again yet. Hopefully, it will be ready soon but as neither me or my fiance are trained mechanics, we are quite a bit slower working on the bike than a professional bike builder, but hey, we all have to start somewhere :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

As promised, here is the bike as it was when I bought it. As you can see, it has already changed a lot from this and I haven't finished yet.

Been replacing the internals of the brake master cylinder today - discovered that we hate circlips - they are a total bitch to remove or put back in even with circlip pliers.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Good ta have ya on bord here Gal,is yer Fiance' a member here yet?

Props fer gettin stuck in on tha workings of tha bike ,I like that spirit fer sure .:robssmilie:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure if he has joined up yet - He does use the site to check info to help with the CBR.

He has a 1998 GSXR600 SRAD. Turns out his bike was modded before he bought it - It has upside down 750 forks and seems to have the tail end plastics from a newer bike as the colours aren't the right ones for his year, but it looks good all the same.

He has certainly got the bug for streetfighters now though LOL I have to stop him from trying to change even more parts on my bike, cos I just want to get back on the road now.
He had a 1997 Yamaha TRX850 from new, which unfortunately got knicked years ago and by the time it was released from the police compound, it was a wreck. Its been outside for 7 years as they took all the plastics off it and sold the parts off, so its not complete. It turned out to be useful though as we have now fitted the TRX front end to my CBR - Free parts, can't be beaten :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will give him a push to get signed up - In the meantime, I already put a couple of pics of his Gixxer up in my "Other Bikes" album.

Feeling very pleased with myself today - After moving some of the wiring loom under the tank a couple of days ago, we had a problem starting the bike from cold. The choke didn't seem to have any effect and once we managed to start the bike and it warmed up, it ran OK.

I tried to have a go at checking the choke yesterday, but as soon as I got the tank off, it decided to rain :(

Fiance was out today, and the weather was reasonable, so I stripped the bike back down and checked the choke cable. When I disconnected it, it was quite smooth, so I refitted it to the bike, and then the lever got stiff again. Tried adjusting it a few times and no change. Luckily for me, our neighbour had come over to talk bikes and ended up helping - It was him that spotted that part of the wiring loom was stopping the travel of the choke mechanism. Once we moved the loom out of the way, everything was working smoothly again. Put the bike back together and it started first time :)

Then my digital clocks arrived in the post so thats the next thing to fit to the bike - It will make a huge difference getting rid of the bulky old clocks, but the wiring part scares me LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So should I start a new thread in there instead of continuing on this one then?

Got my fiance to sign up - His username is Sradsix but his Gixxer isn't streetfightered but he is far more computer savvy than me and used to forums. I usually get lost navigating around forums lol :)

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
So should I start a new thread in there instead of continuing on this one then?

Got my fiance to sign up - His username is Sradsix but his Gixxer isn't streetfightered but he is far more computer savvy than me and used to forums. I usually get lost navigating around forums lol :)

well done fer sure ! REPT!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Build thread has been started - its called "Instructions not included"

Its still not quite up to date yet, but the bike is back on the road for now - until we tackle the digital clocks, but we have asked a friend to help with that as electrics scare us.

Fiance is working on his profile - He's the photoshop expert, so he's adjusting his pics before he posts them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts