Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening CF.

So I am fitting a round headlight on the cbr, hate the ebay mask thing on there, especially when it's dark and roads are unlit, no beam whatsoever.

The round light throws a nice beam but I was thinking for the sake of a tenner it might be fun to have a HID in there, I know it's going to be glaring without a projector, but plenty of cars have them round here so I guess I won't be the only dickhead.:shocker:

Anyone run hid kits in stock housings? Failing that, how about a 100w halogen, really looking for a nice beam as there are a lot of country lanes round here. Cheers.

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was playing with led lights and lenses yesterday and found a few 80/100w h4 bulbs. Tested it on the bench and the housing is fine heatwise. Might run thicker cables to as even my bench supply wires were a bit hot after a while. If the beam still isn't what I'm after I'll go hid.

Rather use 35w for a hid still though.

From what I can see I'll need two projectors for low and high. I know there are the ones that move but assume they're more for retrofitting reflectors.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
look at my build thread. i made my own headlights. i used a set of 3 inch projector lenses. a low beam reflector and a high beam reflector from a zx14r and some 3 inch steel tubing for the centers. i do not have a cut off on the low or high beam. 55w HID ballasts. cant remember what kv the bulbs are but they have a hint of blue in them. absolutely love them.

Reactions: Rotax

·
ZUK ATTaCK
2,957 Posts
I've got a hid bi xenon too in mine. Planning to do something simlar to Casey's on the ktm this winter too. Not that much more work to fit a good projector correctly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice one, got some bi xenons ordered to play with, fairly cheap so good to mess with.

I can then play with distances between lense and lamp, going to run the 100w halogens for now, but really dont want to be using all that power, 35w draw from HID lamps seems much better.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
adjusting lens to hot spot length isnt a good idea. the reflectors are made pretty precisely to throw the right beam. i was going to go with bixenon but decided to just use one light for low and both for high so as to keep everything as simple as possible when making the the projector housings.

·
Eurotrash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess we'll see, used stuff is still way more than I have to burn right now so I guess they'll be another project.

Next up is swapping the stunt tank for a nicer one and sorting the loom from hell, it's proper messy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I put a 55/100w h4 in my vmax, which made a big difference at night. It cost like $3 on ebay and still worked fine 5 years later when I sold the bike.

Here's a good video to illustrate the difference, note right at the start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf7nVWTwwgU

The bike on the right is the stock 35w halogen, the left is a 35w hid conversion in the stock housing. The center has twin 35 watt LED bars.

Note how you can see the HID bike "spotting" things way off in the distance, but the road in front of the bike really doesn't look any brighter than stock. This echoes my experiences with HID conversions- yes they're technically brighter, but the light isn't used effectively. The LED is many times brighter AND gives a nice even spread in front of the bike rather than shooting off into space. It looks like a wet match in the video but the stock headlight is really pretty decent in person.

·
160 Posts
I have HID's in my standard K1 housing and they are the bollox, give much better light than halogen, as for blinding i wouldnt worry, if i aint blinding you who cares.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have HID's in my standard K1 housing and they are the bollox, give much better light than halogen, as for blinding i wouldnt worry, if i aint blinding you who cares.
Because not only is it rude and dangerous for other drivers, in most places it's illegal to run bi-xenon lamps in halogen housings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts