Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
313 Posts
I do not even have a fighter and I ran my wiring inside the frame :)
Along with the hydrolic clutch line.

I think Jello's looks bad when it gets to the back of the bike because you can see the clump of wires as it goes up to the ignitor and battery.
I have to strip that down again and rewire it :(

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
MsHap said:
I do not even have a fighter and I ran my wiring inside the frame :)
Along with the hydrolic clutch line.

:ttiwwop:

i wanna see the whole thing!

·
231 Posts
mine is bundled tightly, zip tied, and zip tied to the forks behind the acerbis

then again, im not running conventional gauges, so that makes a big difference

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Radioaktiv said:
mine is bundled tightly, zip tied, and zip tied to the forks behind the acerbis

then again, im not running conventional gauges, so that makes a big difference
it seems zip ties are pretty much the standard procedute for wiring harnesses! The key is just running everything as close as possible, and with as little wire as possible. Just make sure you try things out BEFORE you start hacking up wires, measure twice, and never cut exact, leave a little slack, just in case. You can always cut more wire off, but you can't (easily) add more.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
yes. its true. zip ties are a staple to the streetfighter scene.

i always like to play the little game of find the zipties when im reading the new issue of Streetfighter Magazine! haha. youd be suprised how nice some bikes are that have zipties!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm one of the few who doesn't think zip ties look cheap or ugly.

My idea of beauty is in operation, and zip ties work really well for some of their purposes. One length zip tie can securely and snugly hold a lot of different size things and you can allow for slack so vibration doesn't destroy things.

I hold my headlight on at the top with a ziptie so it flutters while I go down the road. Budget headlight modulator 8)

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
haelo said:
I'm one of the few who doesn't think zip ties look cheap or ugly.

OH dont get me wrong! i fuckin love zipties! they are the best all around fighter accessory. just gotta keep em neat.

i never said they were ugly. i just like seeing that they are a part of almost every fighter!

:metal:

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you take your time then there are no problems to be had by cutting the looms and resizing to what is needed.
My loom had to be heavily modded as the battery, ignitor, fuse box, regulator all had to be moved. Also i fitted the speedo from a zx10r and had to mod the loom to accept this.
when adding wire it is not important about the colour but the guage of the cable needs to be the same, more but never less.
Remember to leave enough slack for the steering to go lock to lock.
Solder and heat shrink all the connections and you will no problems later with water getting in.
It is best to have a wiring diagram handy for your bike and make sure you study the loom a little before you cut as there are often more of one colour thats the same( like lots of red wires that go into different circuits). If your loom has these then a bit of masking tape and a note put on it at the places where the joins are going to be will make life so much easier.
It is best NOT to make all the joins in one place in the loom as it tends to make that section too bulky (kind of like a snake swallowing a pig). Instead stagger the joins as it will help keep the loom even in thickness.
I put convoluted tube around my looms to make them look a good bit neater, espeacially where the loom is seen.

Most of all take your time, if you have to rush you will fuc it up :)
This loom took me 4-5 nights to do, about 12-15 hours for the entire rewire (whole loom was done)

Attachments

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
dam cam! you did that bike up right the whole way thru!

hell of a job! :metal:

·
?????????????
5,471 Posts
Awsome Job there, I like the plastic cable tidy over the wiring looks much nicer than electrical tape, very professional looking, Part of my winter rebuild plans was to moddify loom for Remote control ignition and starter and generaly tidy it all up! thanks for the insparation :D :cfrocks:

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
My harness.......almost done

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
I was just adding to the thread :clown:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Interesting reading. I Ihave to sort this out as im going to twin headlights on the B600. Hate wiring but i know through experience to take things slow and plan what your doing. Cut a loom too short once and was a nightmare to sort.

Great forum this!

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts