Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So opened up the front sprocket/ chain cover to inspect sprocket and get ready to install new sprockets and chain. But holy CRAP was it nasty. Bought this bike a couple weeks ago and clearly wasn't upkept very well...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
That is a place that doesn't get cleaned very often by people who don't know to much. Mine on my Yzf had like 2 inches of shit inside it was NASTY

·
Registered
740 Posts
While you have the chain/sprocket off, scrape the built up gunk off with a screwdriver, then liberally hit it with degreaser like purple power or simple green. A pressure washer makes this easy, otherwise scrub away with an old toothbrush and rinse, repeat until it's more or less clean.

It's from people using greasy chain lube and way too much of it. People like to absolutely soak chains in oil which then flings off and collects dirt resulting in the nasty crud buildup. A very quick/light spritz is all that's needed, not a 30 second hose down as most people do.

Use a teflon based lubricant instead of oil based ones. Sometimes called "chain wax" even though it's not really wax. Doesn't fling all over, not sticky so doesn't attract dirt, keeps your chain and wheel clean, and costs about the same.

·
1078RR Stealth Fighter
93 Posts
An old racer told me to spray it w wd40, I just spray a rag and run the chain through it while up on the rear stand every few rides. No fling, no built up shit.

·
fatass needs corndogs
436 Posts
This is not that bad...ask people who work on jeeps, atvs, 4x4 trucks....tractors are usually the worst. Grease, vegetation, and crittershit make for an awful cement like creation of awful unheard of by most. My tractors get a monthly washdown whether they have been used or not. Also discourages mice and birds from taking up residence.

·
Vtwin
3,945 Posts
That looks good! My bike has chain lube and god knows what else running out from behind the cover and down the swingarm....I know it's bad I just haven't worked up the courage to take on the job yet

When I do clean it I use diesel or WD...deisel is cheaper

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I found 3 bolts in the 4 inches of crap that was under mine.

Here's mine the pic doesn't do it justice

Here's after

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
That's about how mine looked after 30 yrs of not being cleaned. I just liberally sprayed it with WD and let it soak a couple of minutes then wiped it all off. Came right off and looks way better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts