Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G.....day humans,

I use to use nutsets in my old job and thought they would be very useful when it came time to build my new subframe for my CBR900, but............. I didnt have a nutsert gun and for about $100 I thought I could make my own out of an old rivet gun.

It took about 10mins to work it out and change the bits out and I didnt have to modify the rivet gun so it can convert back in less than 5 mins if I want to. All you need is a 100mm long bolt and a washer so the nutsert has something flush to set against, I used a 120mm bolt with a spacer as that what I had lying around. (the bolts from a Chinese motorbike engine :yeah: )

This is a nutsert gun being used,

These are very similar to what I used nutsert http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M6-Nutse...59?pt=AU_Fasteners&hash=item43b842f5bb&_uhb=1

This is a nutsert

This is my rivet gun in bits, you dont need the spring and other little bits sitting in the pile

This is how it will look installed in the gun, you will not be able to install like this, I just did it to make it clear how to install.

How it should look from the back

How it should look from the front, you might only need a washer instead of the big spacer I have used.

Now just use as per normal nutsert instructions

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
That's very proper. I've probably installed a couple dozen in various places using a bolt, a washer, a roughened collar and vise grips to keep the insert from spinning, and a battery powered impact gun. It works, but if I'd known about this before I did the first one (by which I mean three, and had to drill two out after installing them halfway), it would have saved a lot of headache.

·
WannaBe
103 Posts
Last night, I was just thinking about how it was gonna be a PITA to weld in nuts or tap holes in my subframe. You have just saved me a metric shit-ton of work. Thank You!

·
Premium Member
50,498 Posts
I thought about doing it like that with a bolt, never got round to it.

Glad to be able to help out, you can buy me a :drinks: if your in Aussie :D
woud do but tissa loooooong swim mate;)

·
old fart
3,751 Posts
fucking great idea!! i had a play with my riveter and it only took 5 mins to
convert it to nutsert use, saved me a lot of cash that did :party-smiley::party-smiley::rock:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I acquired a rivet gun for free from my old job when someone broke the part that pulls the rivet and returned it. That was just riding around in my tool box but now thanks to this I have...

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Well 16 bones is cheap and all but I made this out of stuff I had laying round my garage for free. Plus this suited my broken rivet gun perfectly.

But hf's a good option if you don't have the stuff I had

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
39 Posts
I know this is over two years old, but can the HF nutsert tool be used with metric adapters? There are a few adapters available in the size I need on eBay but the tools for those specific adapters are $100+. I'd rather use the HF tool if I can get away with it.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts