Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need one of these.

I was sitting on my butt looking to see how cheap I could buy one off eBay. I also just happened to be texting with a buddy who mentioned he was thinking about building a stand, sooo ... challenge accepted.

I have some nice bearings left over from the hydraulic clutch I built for my ( seemingly forgotten ) tracker build. Scrounged around and found some scrap metal and actually even found the motivation to fix my band saw :)

Turned up 8 of these buttons(?) to mount the bearings with. Plan is to eventually pop off the dust seals to reduce any rolling resistance. I'll flush out the stiff grease and replace it with light oil. The buttons are sized to create a sort of replacement dust seal while also allowing the center race to be properly locked to the stand.

Whipped up some uprights and mounted the bearings as close as possible to each other. Cut some notches to allow clearance for the shaft that will eventually rotate on these bearings. Plenty tall to handle a 21" rim with tire.

Both uprights made, bearings mounted and ready for bidness. Will pick up some decent hardware next time I go to town.

Turned up 4 knurled handwheels that will be used for leveling legs on the base. No reason they need to be so big around other than I saw no reason to turn them down. Lazy ftw :thumbsup:

Still need to decide exactly how I want to build the base and figure out the best way to sort of the cones that will lock the wheel to the turning shaft that will have the least amount of impact on balance. Al always, totally open to any ideas on how to do things. I am planning to build the base wide enough to accommodate holding a cush drive while balancing. Never made sense to me to balance the wheel/tire, but to make no efforts to balance the other half of the rear rotating assembly. Overkill?

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
I made one years ago, and I think the best advice I can give, is to make sure it stores away easily. It's one of those things that you don't use much, and can really get in the way!

Also, make it from steel or add a piece of steel to the side so you can attach a mag base for a dial indicator.

I'm planning to cut mine apart and mount each half to a wall with hinges, so it folds almost flat when not in use.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Wait! what! you blokes balance yer wheels ?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got me balancer offa ebay for 20 bux with cones ;)(drilled tapped and set screws supplied )

I was looking at one for $38 shipped, but I figured what the heck...might as well use the tools I got to build what I need. That's what I bought them for anyway :)

·
V4's FTW
10,494 Posts
If you absolutely can't stand having the set screws... then tap the id of the cones and fit them on a threaded rod. Then add internally threaded cylinders to ride on the bearings.

Or, make really long cones, loctite the threaded rod in 1 of them, thread cones together through wheel.

I didn't want to use that much time or material, and my method has produced wheels that remain stable at 150+. Good enough for me!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made up some little studs and jamnut'd them on to the handwheels. Leveling feet done.

Plasma'd some box tubing in to a couple strips of C-channel to make the bottom legs of the base. Drilled and tapped for the feet, of course.

Finally used the taper attachment I built for the first time today :party-smiley:

Pretty happy with how the cones turned out. They'll slip inside 16mm -27mm ID bearings. Should be all I need. Now, let's see if I can make a mate to this one ;)

I've got a piece of 1/2" round stock. It's not ground or polished, but the runout is nearly imperceptible. I didn't measure it, but I'm sure it's within 5 thou. Might not do for truing ( I'd use the axle for that anyway) , but shouldn't affect balancing. I think?

Back to the setscrew imbalance idea ( I know...splitting hairs over a setscrew's weight while not using ground shaft...), I wondered how a grommet would do to hold the cones in place. I haven't put the weight of a tire & wheel assy up against it yet, but I gotta say, it takes a fair deal of force to move it. We'll see.

One more cone to make, maybe a couple set screws to tap in, but otherwise all done and waiting for a chance to be used. A coat of paint wouldn't hurt either.

·
Fuck it, let's do it live
3,993 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,663 Posts
Why put the bearings on the outer edges of the uprights? One would think the axel would be less prone to flex if the distange between the bearings were smaller. Or at least that's how my rig is built. I firdt thought about making my own but then found a ready unit for 40eur so it didn't make a speck of sense building my own since it would have cost me at least that in parts and paint.

Btw my cone thingies have set screws in them, I'm having a really hard time seeing something so small so close to the axel would make any difference whatsoever, after all the weights are just 5-10grams so if a set screw would be able to affect the system a tiny stone in the tread would offset the entire thing and I'm thinking to have that kind of sensitivity you'd probly need superconductive maglev :D

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't spent a cent so far. Just a fun project over the weekend. Technically I've got about four bucks in the bearings.

Bearings to the outside since I wanted 12" of width to accommodate balancing with a cush drive installed if wanted.

About the setscrews. Since I've always cobbled things together at home with less than ideal conditions and tools, I've always tried to offset my chances of failure by doing everything in my power to get it right. Basically, I know I'm gonna mess up, so the harder I work to be perfect in the beginning, the less I'll miss my mark once I actually get done. My friends tell me I worry much. I think they don't try hard enough. ;) I'm not really THAT worried about it, just doing what I what do and mentioning an idea. Maybe out of curiosity more than anything.

Seb's idea about a threaded rod is the best idea I've seen to fix the "problem" and why I like to ask questions. Not something I would have thought of, and nice to have that solution as an idea for future projects.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts