Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the goose which will eventually lay the golden egg.

The current list of items/changes that im 90% sure about are;

2006+ R6 Rear, tail, lights, undertail, seats
Fairings will be painted gloss black
Frame will be Satin Black
The rims are already gloss black, but im not sure yet if I want them flat black.
The engine might be done in a dark grey, with gold accents (Engine covers)
Front Forks will be done in gold (I would much prefer USD forks, but I dont think they will be in the budget right now).
180 Rear tire
Digital Display Swap, EP7 (I'll try to mod it as a red backlight display instead of blue)
Renthal bars and risers
Bar end mirrors
Flat Twin Stacked headlights
Modified Belly pan
Modified exhaust (Small thin muffler poking out through belly pan)
Exhaust Wrap, im not sure on the color yet, either a white or a grey.
Rear style brake fluid reservoir on the front.
New levers, indicators, spools, sliders, foot pegs.

So I'll have a R6 2000 bellypan to play with soon, that should be the first bodypiece that gets here since im having a hard time finding any R6 tails for a reasonable price. I'll need to find a small thin muffler, im still looking on ebay for that one, I hope to turn up something soon as the exhaust is way too big.

Here a PS in progress, this is by no means done, I still have alot more to do to it.

Ohh yea, im not sure who's bike that is, but I hope you dont mind me PSing it up :)

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tomorrow I'll try and finish the photoshop, play around with colors, fix up some things, chop the exhaust, but it seems to be looking good so far.

I better go to bed before I fall asleep on the keyboard.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a dream last night that I was reading these forums and someone called that design "Looks like a bowl of grease" & "Looks like a truck" Hahah, I think that dream meant something.

So I just did this this morning,

More to come when I get some inspiration/time.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting closer to something I like.

I really like the orange one.

Some more;

Ahhh so hard to choose!

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick update,

Lots of gear has been ordered, 98 r6 tail end, new dash, headlights, and a bunch of bolt on parts. Still need to find myself a tiny muffler before I begin the build.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know what size magnet would be appropriate for a magnetic speedo sensor? I want to order a few new rare earth magnets just unsure of size.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Rare earth magnets are the way to go, but to my understanding, the magnet size won't actually matter. The smaller the better I guess, so you could stack them up on each other to reduce the gap between the sensor and the magnet.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, looks like im finally going to get started on this :)

I have a table of parts here.

Some Catz headlights I found.

And a little dan moto gauge.

I only did a couple small things today to get the ball rolling, Im really not looking forward to not having a bike to ride, so lets hope I can finish this project in a couple months.

First thing I did today was piece together my R6 tail and R1 seat, the seat didnt fit flush so I had to do some modifications to it to get it right.

You can see how it just sits up at the back a little bit, doesnt look very nice.

Three pieces removed, now it sits much nicer.

Next I started prepping the handle bars, I needed to install these squeeze things for my mirrors, the problem with the Renthals is that they are quite a bit smaller ID, so I got out a drill and file and went to work.

I only took a couple mm's off and it fits great.

I didnt like the way that the handlebar padded insert was grey, it looked very out of place and cheap, so I decided to dye it black using leather dye.

So, the dye, a small rag, some plastic sheeting so I dont make a mess, gloves because you really dont want this on your skin, and a bottle cap as you dont need to use too much.

This is with one wipe, stains it very nicely.

After two coats, I hung it out to dry.

And once it dried, I reinstalled it. Its the flash which makes it look very glossy in parts, under proper lights it looks very uniform and matt. Its the small things that count.

I'll take lots of pics of everything, to try and keep people interested. What I want to do tomorrow is install my new 1/5 R6 throttle tube, and new mcct before I strip too much off, just to make sure its running kosher before I pull the engine and chop up the harness.
Im hopeing to get the bike into the garage soon, the earlier I do it, the quicker I can be back on it!. Thanks for looking.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man,

I ended up installing the throttle tube today, makes a nice difference since I dont have to regrip sometimes to get to Wot. Also started stripping the bike and went out and bought some supplies.

What a difference a day makes.

And the seat fits the tank great.

I might do the tripples tomorrow, or cut out the subframe and start building a new one, not sure yet.

Im happy I finaly started the build.

·
206 Posts
Nice progress.. one thing I did on my old f2 was throw some automobile door guard on the tank.

Looked great. Those bikes are easy to work on... I miss mine. Keep the updates coming.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Gacho, I've altered the photoshop a little since the first few, this was the final draft of what I wanted to achieve.

But since seeing the bike naked and checking different positions of the seat etc, I like where it is now, with the color scheme it should look like this 'ish'. Should be easy enough, the way the top tube in the subframe sits, all I need to do is straighten it, cut n weld new tabs etc, then build the bottom half.

Well something like that lol, subframe will be mostly hidden under the fairings.

Dafizuck; I dont really know what you mean, do you mean around the bottom where its indented to fill it in?, do you have a pic of where you put the door guard? Im planing on covering the tank with carbon fiber cloth + resin, aswell as the tail if that makes a difference.

Little13; I can do it myself in my shed, The engine will be painted in 2 pack, Im set up with a air fed full face mask + suit to keep me safe from that crap since its so toxic.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why dont you get it powder coated along with your other parts? The only reason Im painting is because Its alot cheaper for me then powdercoating, and I can achieve the exact color I want.

But If you do want to paint it I'd recommend using a polyurethane, this will stand up to the heat compared to say a rattle can or a single stage urethane. I also wouldnt clear coat the engine unless you are using a metallic as it wont stand up to the heat like the base coat will, it will eventually end up yellowing and peeling after a year or so. This is a good way to go if you have the protective equiptment available, this stuff is pretty nasty, it contains isocyanates (Cyanide) which causes cancer and other side effects. This stuff is easily the most robust, longest lasting paint available with the best gloss off the gun, so no buffing required.

Since you have a compressor then Rattle cans I wouldnt use, there just rubbish compared to a proper automotive paint system. But they are extremely user friendly and easy to get ahold of, and touch ups can be alot easier with a can if its ever needed. Plus not having to clean paint guns rocks. This paint is guaranteed to peel/fade though after time.

Dont use a Lacquer, it doesnt handle the heat well.

Acrylic enamel might be what your after, easy to spray, not as toxic as 2pack and can withstand the heat generated, plus its alot cheaper. Duller then 2 pack though and will need to be sanded and buffed if you want a high gloss.

·
Aussie
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bought some more stuff, new bolts for my risers, a new cam lock for my seat, and some piping for the fork tubes.

New lock installed.

I had to weld a nut to the end of the risers just to get the bolt out, what a bitch.

New ones installed.

Then I measured up the fork tubes, cut the pipe to length, cleaned up all the edges and beveled the top and bottom of the pipe. Its about 46mm ID PVC piping.

Now I need to measure up my tripples, see what I can do for reinforcement, and drill the hole for the risers.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts