Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to learn what all will fit.

On my '80 I had a set of trees of a '92 600 F3. I had a set of '91 1000 (F2) legs in there and the fork spacing was right for the F1 Hurricane 600 wheel that was in there(with stock spacers).

Well, I bought a front end of a 98 600 F3 and slid those legs and rims (again with all stock axle spacers) right in to place and the fit was perfect(obviously,since it's all F3).

So...I've got F3 600 trees that I'm using now. But I need the longer 1000 legs vs the 600 ones. I don't like how the F3 1000 legs look. Too many ugly knots on them. The F2 1000 legs I had before were nice looking pieces. They were 41mm

Anyway, what all years did the 1000 F2 legs exist? 88-93 or 94? I'm trying to learn the ins and outs so I can ebay safely. :)

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I need to revisit this...

I have an F3 front rim and full brakes off a 96 CBR600. The year span for identical parts is what? 95-98? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I prefer the fork legs from a CBR1000. I have a set of these on another bike that '91 year model. Would that be F2? And is F2 90-94?

Also, if I use the CBR600F3 rim and brake (wheel,caliper & disc) will the caliper mounting lugs on the CBR1000 legs I mention earlier all line up correctly?

Basically, that's what I want. 600F3 rim & brakes to bold directly to older 1000 legs. The 600 legs are just too short. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ok as far as the cbr 600 goes you are correct f3 is 95-98. And f2 would be 90-94. The exception there is the front fork changed to cartridge style in 94.
As far as them swapping on a 1000 you would probably have to adapt the brakes to work. The axles should be the same but if I remember correctly that's it. The 600 and 1000 were alot different in that respect.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dunno bout that I'll do some checking. I know the f2, f3 600 and also 93-96 cbr1000 had 41 mm at the clip ons.. If that helps any?

Edit: forgot to mention that the f3 forks are only about 1 inch shorter so it may not be too drastic depending on where you are looking to set your ride height. If your looking for a quick easy swap for the front in a 6 spoke wheel the 90s vfrs had Em and they slot right in the 1000 forks with spacer work. The later model vfrs also give ya the floaters.
The 900rr also had a wider rear 6 spoke wheel. So depending on what you have and what you want to replace it with. Options are pretty wide open

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man. Wheel spacers im not worried about. I can make those easy enough. I can make caliper mounts too, but I prefer not to just because it's a little cleaner. The 600 forks I have are 1.5" shorter than my 1000 forks. The 1000 legs on 17" rims will keep the ride height of my bike where I want it to be. 600' are a little short.

Oh, and yeah, both are 41mm with the same fork spacing. Pretty sure they all used the same trees too, from my limited experience.

F2 1000 legs are hard to find and way pricier than 600 F3's. Maybe I'll just pick up some 600 F3's and make a dropped top clamp. Wish I had a mill....

Thanks again for your help bud.

·
Noobie
2,644 Posts
If your looking for a quick easy swap for the front in a 6 spoke wheel the 90s vfrs had Em and they slot right in the 1000 forks with spacer work. The later model vfrs also give ya the floaters.
according to vfr forum, 600 f3 front wheel we're direct swap on vfr750, so...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahaha! I said "I" needed to do some research. Didn't mean for you to do that. :D Thanks bud, you've been a huge help.

In that link they are measuring gen 3 & 4 VFR legs at 780mm - 30.7''

Another member there measured his 600F3 legs at 785mm - 30.9''

Odd. My 600 F3 legs came in at 30'' and my '91 CBR1000 legs at 31.5''. I was measuring my forks with weight ON them, so that may be the difference.

Basically, the difference in those CBR and VFR legs are so minute, I wonder if there is really any difference all? Maybe the VFR is sprung a tad heavier? Definitely appears to have the same caliper mounts. I do see that some VFR's only have one axle pinch bolt vs. the CBR using two. No biggie, but definitely not identical castings.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Lol thats all i do is research hahahha. Im trying to fugire an economical way for me to do my front end swap and get what i want too. So every fork helps lol.

Yeah and from what I can tell some vfrs have the adjustments and some don't. So it's a crap shoot I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
If they're both 41mm showa damping rod forks (as opposed to cartridge damping) then it's a fair bet that you can put the longer 1000F tubes into the 600F sliders with the brake bosses you want.

I know for a fact that CB-1, VTR1000F and CBR600F2 among some other fork tubes can be swapped about in this way.

If you have all those bits to hand, there's nothing to lose except a set of fork seals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2nd post so hi again,

And I know its not really what you're looking for and it is boasting a little but i cant help my self. I miss her... (bike was a cbr1000f 88)

cbr1000rr forks
cbr1000rr calipers
cbr954 front wheel + 330mm discs
and yokes...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts