Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a running 06 Honda Hornet that someone had already started to cut up and turn into a café racer. Lucky for me his skills didn't match his ambition so he gave up on the project and I got a great deal. So I had an idea and some inspiration from an old Honda classic. The CB700SC Nighthawk. I figured I could combine the two and have a more modern bike with a classic look. Not going to crazy on this one only because I still need to finish other projects.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a clean tank and tail section from a Nighthawk. Fitted the tank up and made the front mounts for it. I also trimmed the Hornet side panels a bit. I going to try and tie the side panels into the Nighthawk grab rail somehow. I will have make new mounts for the coils to fit under the new tank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made more progress on the subframe to support the seat , tail section and side panels. I will also mount all my electronics to this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should move this to the build off
Looking back I should have just started this in the build off thread. Not sure how to get it moved there now???

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the idea to mate the Hornet side panels to the Nighthawk grab rail. I was able to join them enough so when I make the seat it should look fairly seamless. Also welded up the mounts for the grab rail. Cut the tail section down and mocked it up. The grab rail is really just for more of an authentic look considering I have reduced the bike to a single seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lowered the position of the grab rail to give it a sleeker look but in doing so I made it wider at the top because the side rails went up at an angle. I bought a 2nd center piece so I could lengthen it to fit. Cut both pieces and welded the 2 longer parts together. I cleaned up the welds and bolted it back together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made my mounts for the electronics kept everything fairly close to where it was originally mounted that way I don't have to cut up the wiring harness to much. I used a smaller brake reservoir for a better fit under the seat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted a small belly pan that fit the shape of the tank and tail. I had a lower fairing lying around off a Chinese pocket bike so I cut it down to fit and made a couple of brackets to hold it in place. Also used a rear hugger fender off the same bike added some support trimmed it to fit painted it black and mounted her up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut off the passenger pegs. I left a little room on the backside of the right rear set to possibly use as an exhaust mounting point. Man these had some weight to them probably lost 4-5lbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Started on the seat. I taped off everything so I could make a fiberglass base for the seat. I used a release agent over the tape so it could be removed easily then I laid down the glass. After trimming it up set it back in place, fit like a glove. Just need to layer in some seat foam and shape it up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to keep the exhaust system more traditional. The stock system exited through the swingarm and out under the seat. When I bought the bike there was an aftermarket carbon muffler and slip on pipe in a box with some other miscellaneous parts. I basically cut the stock pipe under the bike just after the collector. I cut the aftermarket pipe and used the bends to route it out the side and to the muffler. I tack welded it together and made a bracket off the foot peg mount to secure it. I still have to remove the whole system and finish welding it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took care of some details on the seat. Made a mount for the front of the seat out of plastic and attached it to the fiberglass then cut a rectangle hole in the frame for it to slide into. I glassed in a couple of nuts tacked to a bar to the back inside of the seat and made a mount on the frame to secure it with 2 bolts. I glued several layers of foam to the base and shaped it with a knife and different sanders. Just need to get it covered.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the bike apart so I could start painting all the components. Since the original Nighthawk was blacked out there was plenty to paint and powdercoat. I sent several parts to PC. I painted the engine and frame as well as some parts. I wanted to black out the forks but anodizing wasn't in the budget and I was concerned that paint would easily scratch so I had this idea to used large shrink wrap to cover them. It work pretty well only had to paint a small section on the fork to allow it to pass through the triple clamp. I also installed heavier springs and oil in the forks to stiffen up the front end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Going back together lots of stuff blacked out. Bodywork going to paint this week. Hope to have it done before the end of the month.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Taking care of some details while everything is at paint. Added grips, levers and mirrors. Did some mods to the chain guard. I also got my seat back from upholstery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All back together after paint. I cleaned up the exhaust some. I also made 2 filler panels under the rear of the tank. Mounted front turn signals and integrated rear turn signals at the bottom corners inside of the tail light. Just need to take care of some minor details a call it done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a breakdown of the cost of everything. Probably the cheapest cost wise of any bike I've ever done.

-2006 Honda CB600F $800
-CB700S Fuel tank $200
-CB700S Tail section $100
-Mirrors $20
-Levers $25
-Grips $15
-Gas cap $25
-Fuel petcock $20
-Fork Springs $75
-Fork seals & oil $45
-Rear tire $115
-Decals $50
-Seat Cover $140
-Powder coating $150
-Paint $600
-Misc. supplies $100

-Total ------ $2480

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some pics of the finished bike. Runs great too.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts