Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to do a big metric twin build...couldn't find one for free, though, so I'm settling for a 750 haha. Still makes 50lbs of torque everywhere so gonna be a fun little build I bet. I'm not 100% certain where I want to go with it but I expect it to be similar to my CX500 build. What I have on hand so far is a 675R front end and a Gen 4 VFR750 swingarm/wheel.

My concerns are how fat the tank is and finding a good shock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So now I have TWO! One is going to be a build, the other is going to be for miscelaneous parts and the motor itself is going to go into my Roketa buggy.

My initial plan was to set it up with a VFR swingarm. I'm going to using either an R6 front end or a 675R setup and the VFR arm was going to make finding a nice match on the back EASY, but I couldn't sort out making the VFR arm work properly. I'm going with this VT600 braced swingarm instead!

This arm is about an inch shorter than the 750 arm which suits me just fine, I want the wheelbase a bit shorter anyway. Major issue I'm going to have is mounting. I'm going to take a stab at mounting the 600 arm in the 750 frame but I fully expect to have to chop the two apart and weld them together in a somewhat hybrid configuration.

I'll have a video up later today starting the process. I'm going to try and commit to doing at least 30 minutes a week on the bike until it's done.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the swingarm flairs out on the RIGHT side for some reason. There's no way the sprocket would align with the thing. I flipped it over and now it all meshes together but I got to start from scratch sorting out the shock mount. Will probably end up being along the same lines as my CX build, but I'll be using an R6 or R1 shock with a MUCH heavier spring.

Whole album for the interested

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the tube swingarm just won't clear anything at all...sucks, I really wanted to use that. Risks of trying new things! I think I'm going to have to make a swingarm to get what I want.

Right now wheelbase is 63 inches and I want it does to around 58~59 inches. Plus the chain contacts the top of the arm so I'm got to modify things at the very least. Gonna have to cut and weld!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so back to the original swingarm. I ended up notching and bending it to get it low enough to clear the chain at the right height I wanted...which may add some complications later but I'll sort that out when I get there. I got the arm braced and true, setting up the shock now. I'm going to use an R6 shock because I know they work sideways...the R6 and R1 shocks are popular with bikes like the 650 ninjas...I'd rather use my CBR954RR shock but I don't know if it'll work properly laying on it's side.

Still trying to figure out a tank and a seat. Odds are I'm going to run the same cheap tank and seat combo I have on my CX500. It's cheap and under $100 for the pair. Trying to find tanks that'll fit this thing neatly has been problematic. Same issue I had finding tanks for my GL project. Not a lot of good options, and the good options are $$$$.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still going to have to get a stiffer spring but the shock works exactly as planned...still waiting for the new spring before I pull the arm back off and fully weld everything.

Youtube update as well for more angles of how shock and swingarm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts