Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hope you'll share the info/build of it. I've been considering making my own, but not sure what has changed since the A123 battery days.
Absolutely. I was trying to print the case for them now but my FEP is messed up and not letting me print properly. These things are 26650 LiFePo4 cells...3.2v/3800mah. Charging voltage running four in series is going to be about 14.6vdc so should be compatible with most rectifier/regulators and the cranking amps should be around 90a. This is what Antigravity's four cell batteries are made of.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So this is my idea with the exhaust at present:

I'm looking at getting some short reverse cone mufflers...I think...I may use these tatty old things in the picture if I can get them to look right and shove some kind of muffler guts into them (these were off an CX500 and someone long ago "modified" them). It's not exactly the look I had in mind but I don't dislike it, it lets me get a good length on the pipes, and it gives me an easy place to do a crossover at 18" if I decide not to keep it divorced.

I also got a bracket welded up to let me use shorter cables for the throttle. I'm using VFR750 cables and switchgear. Needs some tweaking, though, or my old cable here is buggered, because it hangs up in the sleeve. New cables are on order to see if I can get it better.

Also got a plate cut for mounting a light. I'm going to run the Shadow's factory 5.75" housing...I think it fits nicely. There's only one bolt hole under the Triumph triple, though, but a bore on the other side I can use. I'm going to have to make a spacer to let me line everything up and hold it steady, then round everything out and paint and seal. I like this one, it's going to be one of the easiest headlight setups I've done. I thought my CX500 setup was easy but it was still like six different pieces all welded together, this is just going to be a plate with a little spacer. LED light should make it plenty useable and light on the electrical system.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think they're 351 Cleveland headers...and looking at them I was really surprised by the spacing. The 1/4...or the 5/8 I don't know how V8 cylinders are numbered...lines up just inside the exhaust ports on this shadow 750. Sure there'd be a little overhang but maybe a small block would fit inside this engine's footprint? lol or maybe that 5.3 LS(4?) that GM put in the front wheel drive GXP's haha

This was my other routing option keeping the mufflers in the same general place (which I like)

I like the simplicity of that one, but the longer primaries with crossing them will be better for this engine I think. Not 100% decided yet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Got the headlight bracket done. It's not pretty, but it's solid.

Also roughed out the exhaust. I was leaning toward this option to begin with...thought about crossing over because I thought the longer pipes might perform a little better and look a little better, but now that I've seen this setup with my own eyes I'm running with it. I like it. I don't know about those mufflers...they're just gutted cones and they're kind of rough...I might try to make them work, but I'm probably just going to run with pipes like what's on my CX500.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Got the hand switches adapted over on the Shadow 750. Again, using Honda VFR750 hand switches for this project....because I had them :D. I was able to repin the right hand control to match the Shadow harness but I had to splice a new connector onto the left side switch.

Hooked up power and all electrical tests check out...except the horn. Not sure why but the horn doesn't work. Thumped straight up with a little ether. Getting very close to the point of tearing it all right back down for paint and finalizing welds haha

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I've been trying to figure out a way to sort out the shifter with the rearsets...it's set too deep into the frame and way too close to the sprocket and inside the chain...getting a link in there from the back and above is not fun. I finally gave up. This is the shifter. It'll be GP style shifting but it'll work. I'll get a pad on the end but definitely leaving the rest rough lol

41 - 60 of 82 Posts