Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Is my bike ok?
15,176 Posts
You've done a LOT on this thing to visually slim this bike down. Hard to think this thing was a Shadow. Running one high and one low pipe seems to add a lot of visual bulk to the bike. Not hating on your pipes, just thinking doing one or the other ( hi pipes or low pipes) prevents the from being .... "framed" in a surround of pipes. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I appreciate the input and i can absolutely see where it might look a little too cluttered. It’ll be a thing i assess when the bike’s rideable...it’ll be an inexpensive and easy thing to address if i have to redo it. I really like the idea of it being “different” though. If i put them both high it’ll look everyone else’s “I made a scrambler” build...and both low it just looks like every other generic exhaust since literally the beginning of motorcycles lol. I can see in my head how it’ll look once finished out and if it pans out that way it’s going to be something that catches the eye and matches the style of the bike...it might look like a lot of nonsense in reality, though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
So I got mounts sorted out for the coils. This is REALLY something I don't like and didn't want but I can't reliably say my "alternate" plans will work...spring is approaching quickly and I want this thing rideable by then so I need known solutions now. I'll be able to work on upgrades/updates later. I had to take a hammer to the valley of the tank a little to get them to fit, and I have no idea how I'm going to fit air filters with them there, but it's the only place that isn't out in the ether and the air filter might be easier to sort out.

Also got the mount for the fuel pump in place!

And will be picking up shim stock tomorrow to adapt a set of gold dot monoblocks! Or silver dots...I have both....but I think I like the gold dots better.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I can and that was the original plan, but it's a dual spark head. There are two plugs basically under the backbone (inboard) and two hanging off the side of the head (outboard). The Mitsubishi coils that I KNOW will work fit the inboard plugs awesome but hang way off out in the air on the outboard plugs...won't be too bad on the right side but it hangs way out there on the left. Once I put the fins back on they'll be covered a little but still pokes out quite a bit...I'm afraid I'll nail the thing with my knee getting on and off the bike. I looked at running the bike with just one coil but the plugs are on either side of the combustion chamber. From the outside it looks almost like there's one in the center and one on the side, but they're on either side of the valves inside...I know that one plug will fire the cylinder but I don't know KNOW that it'll work well.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,176 Posts
I can and that was the original plan, but it's a dual spark head. There are two plugs basically under the backbone (inboard) and two hanging off the side of the head (outboard). The Mitsubishi coils that I KNOW will work fit the inboard plugs awesome but hang way off out in the air on the outboard plugs...won't be too bad on the right side but it hangs way out there on the left. Once I put the fins back on they'll be covered a little but still pokes out quite a bit...I'm afraid I'll nail the thing with my knee getting on and off the bike. I looked at running the bike with just one coil but the plugs are on either side of the combustion chamber. From the outside it looks almost like there's one in the center and one on the side, but they're on either side of the valves inside...I know that one plug will fire the cylinder but I don't know KNOW that it'll work well.

Oh damn. Yeah, sticking out like that sucks.

I'm not usually "that guy", but if Honda saw fit to run two plugs I'd be tempted to keep it. They're some pretty sharp cookies over there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a quick hello from Bosnia....after i found so many builds of Yamaha Xv I was sure that I was the only one building a Shadow into Scrambler/Brat style bike. But here we go, I was wrong

I will follow the topic closely for further updates. A picture of my progress so far.

Ciao Ciao

Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
It seems that this is now abandoned topic, but this stuff keeps me going in these f...up times.
So here is an update on my rear subframe.

A little bit to high, but now its to late, its already welded to good to start from new. I will try to lower it with positioning the rearschock a bit lower then normal.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Why no updates?! Well...I can't divulge everything but we can look at what's in the shop now! lol

Obviously, the Shadow 750. As stoked as I am at how this is progressing it's hard to work on other things! I need to figure out my carburetor/filter situation, sort out mounts for the exhaust and tail lighting, and then it's time to tear it down to finalize welds and paint. I'm itchy over it!

Then there's this thing...my beloved CX500. Engine needs to come out to replace the stator to get her back on the road. This is likely going to happen before I can get back to the Shadow...and I'm seriously contemplating selling it in favor of the shadow. Seriously fun little bike and I've loved every second with it. You can see the whole build process HERE!

This is the other project on the table. It's a GL500 I'll be building in a similar likeness to my CX and all it needs left is everything. This was another nightmare pulled out of a field, but it'll be another awesome little project.

This is the wishy washy thing...a 1996 VFR750. The idea was the build it back up but it's so far gone I'm going to struggle to make myself do it. The engine is good, though, and that's the only reason it hasn't gotten axed yet. I do know now matter what I do with it the front end is going onto my GL500 project above. If I put this bike together it'll be with a built suspension.

And the last bunch of nonsense...another Shadow 750! It runs, surprisingly. There's a lot I'm really attracted to about the 750 I'm building but it's mostly romance at this point. Once the bike is together I ride it I may hate it. Sometimes the things in your mind don't always transfer to reality neatly. If I like as much as I think I do I'm going to build this one into another one...and I'm thinking of pulling the rolling gear of the VFR above for it. The R1 forks in front of it will go on it if I build it. If I decide not to build it for some reason the engine will go in my mini buggy...or I'm seriously thinking of putting it in that VFR750 frame lol.

Plus I got wind turbines to build and repair, a job to do, acres to mow, and wife to please, kids to enjoy, and only one of me :/

61 - 80 of 82 Posts