Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Based on DougZ's reply, You only will need one switch. If the B/W - O/Y pair can be closed with a resistor for anti-theft reasons, then you can simply get a dual-pole single throw toggle and have the four remaining wires run into that. I don't have the anti-theft circuit on my bike so I just have the two independant circuits. I used a nice water-resistant illuminated dual-pole, single-throw toggle I got from Jegs.
Yes, just make sure its a dual pole.......and not just twist the wires together.... for a single pole switch...back-feeding to the ECU could be bad..very bad.

I actually only became familiar with all this stuff recently.....when I was working out my own keyless ignition. I checked all three circuits for continuity, and was not getting any on that middle pair....just resistance. took me a day or two thinking about to realize what was up. Now, I am like duh. LOL

I have learned more about motorcycle electrical stuff in the last couple months than the entire 16 or so years I have been riding. :D

here is a clip of what i did candy, this was a few years ago and is a bit foggy in my head. it is for the 98 TLR but the wires look the same according to your schematic. i then put a 30amp switch in on the wire going to the ignition. make sure you use a high amp switch. they seem to melt pretty easily. :LolLolLolLol:

^^^ Did that drain the battery at all? I would think that you would be giving power to things that are normally off when the key is out???

i can't honestly answer that correctly. (nice ingrish huh?) anyway i have a bum battery in it now and as long as i run it every few weeks it is good. at least maybe it isn't a bum battery. now you have me second guessing myself. dammit jim i am only a doctor :nuts: i thought i was done with that shit. edit. don't pay attention to previous post till i get a chance to re look at my mess.
frikin A. thanks doug :D

I'd be willing to bet if you put switches on your orange and red circuit, and also on your brown and gray circuit, and got a new battery...things should work fine.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
So DZ are you saying you'd go with option C and not A/B for the resistor? Or am I following you wrong?

From talking with a pretty knowledgeable friend last night I think what I'm looking at is kinda what you guys were saying.

For the O/Y - B/W connection I'll use its own switch, with a 100ohm reisitor mounted like option A/B.

Then for the other 2 pairs of wires I'll wire them into a single switch (single throw double post I think its called...) The benefit of having 2 switches will be that it'll be harder to figure out how to start for the slightly less-than-honest folk of the world.

What do you think?

So DZ are you saying you'd go with option C and not A/B for the resistor? Or am I following you wrong?

From talking with a pretty knowledgeable friend last night I think what I'm looking at is kinda what you guys were saying.

For the O/Y - B/W connection I'll use its own switch, with a 100ohm reisitor mounted like option A/B.

Then for the other 2 pairs of wires I'll wire them into a single switch (single throw double post I think its called...) The benefit of having 2 switches will be that it'll be harder to figure out how to start for the slightly less-than-honest folk of the world.

What do you think?

Hmm, if im understanding correctly...you won't need a switch for the O/Y -B/W just connect the two with the resistor(C w/o switch?) then run the dual post for the other two sets. I think....

Nate

What do you think?
I am saying just what I said. From your diagram....its looking like you have the resistor wired in for all three..now is that all three sets of wires, or three options. I, now thinking about it, and your drawing, think you mean which way to use the resistor...do it just the way Dan did in his pic....just solder it in....no switch needed on that pair of wires.

So, option D...just a resistor across the pair...no switch needed. :rock:

Discussion starter · #33 ·
OK, ya there was a misunderstanding there. The little sketch I did was meant to be for the one pair, the B/W - O/Y pair. It was just to ask which way it should be wired in that pair with the resistor. I never intended to wire in a resistor with any of the other pairs.

Wiring in just a resistor and no switch on that pair wouldn't be like having the key turned to "ON" all the time then??

OK, ya there was a misunderstanding there. The little sketch I did was meant to be for the one pair, the B/W - O/Y pair. It was just to ask which way it should be wired in that pair with the resistor. I never intended to wire in a resistor with any of the other pairs.

Wiring in just a resistor and no switch on that pair wouldn't be like having the key turned to "ON" all the time then??
Not for that pair...there is no power....just a measurement of resistance by the ECU. The other pairs supple power to things...be it the ignition or lighting circuit.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ok, I think I follow you. So for the O/Y - B/W pair, I could do 2 things.

1: Wire in a resistor between the 2 wires and leave it at that.

or

2: Wire in a switch, and install the resistor as per example A/B.

Option 2 would give me an added security measure correct? If the switch was not "ON" then the bike wouldn't start, even if the switch with all the rest of the wires was switched on. 2 switches is better than 1

2 is an option...if you want to use another switch...but its not needed.

I think after this much advice...you owe me a quick lesson on the vacuum molding. LOL..live in PA, right?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.