Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tank on my gsxr was already in rough shape and when I crashed I made it even worse to the point I don't know if I can fix it or not. The couple dents previously on it weren't too bad but the new one crumpled the metal on the corner of the tank. I don't have a slide hammer and my buzzbox would probably blow through the tank so I can't fix it that way.

Maybe I should do the Ichiban moto thing and weld nails to it by sticking frayed speaker wires into electrical outlets.

Seriously though. A tanks off ebay is like $150, but it's usually the oil cooled one which I don't know if it will fit. Plus I like the really weird shape of this one. And the inside of the tank is perfect.

I wonder if I can use my welder and something like a coat hangar, strike an arc and immediately bury it just to get it to stick without burning through. Any ideas?

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've seen pulling studs for sell that you stick in the end of your MIG gun. But all you have is a stick?

Do you have the option to braze? You can get a $10 bottle of MAPP gas at Lowe's and a $20 screw-on ( no leader hose) torch head and just stick on pieces of silver solder. Soft plumbing solder will be to weak to pull on, it'll just snap in two and the adhesion isn't much, but 15% silver solder sticks like a mofo. Typically sold in flat sticks, but any welding shop should stock round sticks as well. If you want to go this route give me a shout and I can hook you up with some solder. I've seen welding shops hold up guys for as much as $15-20 per stick because "silver". It's bs. It's not actually silver, but silver-bearing material. Anyway, I buy it by the 5lb tube for work. I think I pay about $3-4 per stick. Just putting it out there.

Post up a pic. Sometimes seeing the damage will spark a memory for someone looking at the thread.

Crumpled up on the corner, though. Hopefully it's not on seam? You could end up with a leaker there.

Of course, there always the good ol' " if you can see it then it didn't happen " approach. Tack on a new piece of metal to recreate what the surface should be, or build a little piece of fiberglass. Leave the dent, just hide it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shiny, totally forgot to post the pics.
That right side is really messed up. Actually what I mean is it's a really bad spot to have to fix. I suck at bodywork. Had to do a couple cars when I was a poor teenager, hated it then and I don't like it any more now.

Silver solder, brazing.. Hadn't thought of that. i have oxy acetylene.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
Sadly it has been a while since I have worked on my gsxr projects but I'm pretty sure all the oil cooled and water cooled tanks can swap back and forth.

I'll be at a big motorcycle swap meet this weekend and another one on the 18th. PM me your number and I'll let you know if I see anything and what they want and pics and all that.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
Well you could use body filler. I Think we have all done worse in our day.

The low buck way to pull dents is to tack nails to what ever and pull.

To make a cheap slide hammer weld a pipe to a cheap pair of vise grips. put anything grab-able with some weight to it, also with a hole in it (that's the hardest part) of the pipe and weld a solid stop at the end, and voila, it will do the same thing. You can also use threaded rod with a nut, but the weight will tend to bind on the thread ridges.

For what it's worth, I have seen people also make their own weights. Take a 2" wide 4-6" long piece of black iron pipe. Get two matching caps for it. Drill holes in the ends to match the pipe or rod you are using, and fill with shot, concrete, melted down wheel weight led, what ever you got. Wrap in electrical tape for a grip.

EDIT: after a quick google, here's what I am talking about

·
Cmon' Kitty!
777 Posts
HF sells a dent welder for $100, I've got one but have yet to use it (excuses excuses).

The vise grips slam hammer is a must^^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts