Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 ZX6R. I've been reading about some bikes' ECU over heating and shutting down their bike due to hot temps. I have heard this with people with the stock sub frame. But in my situation. I replace the stock subframe with a custom, shorter one. And I tucked all my wirings underneath my gas tank. I have never experience any ECU over heating issues yet but then I only ride around locally and dont even cover 8-10 miles a ride. Does anyone here also tucked their wirings, ECU, Fuse box, Battery under their gas tank? And have do done anything to cover the ECU over heat resistance fabric? How is your setup?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay can't complain about that answer. The ECU does have a little opening where air can go in while I'm riding. I'll probably plan a long ride and see how it reacts.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
I just mount mine where there is plenty of air movement. They almost always have heat sink vanes on them.

Lol, lately, I keep mine cool by not being able to ride my bike.... :(

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
You could wrap it with heat tape

and mine is just a plastic box. No heat sinks coming outta it anywhere

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had a 03 Z1000, which shared the same tail section and largely the same ECU. In it's stock location, in 45k miles, it never had a single issue with the ECU. The only time it didn't run perfectly was due to a failing fuel pump, which was updated by Kawi.

I would venture that anyone claiming their bike shuts off at high temperatures has other problems, such as a failing stator, R/R, or weak battery that loses voltage when the fan kicks on. Low voltage will cause the ECU (and thus the bike) to shut down to protect itself. ECU's are designed with numerous fail-safe parameters to prevent further or more severe damage in case of a malfunction. As voltage drops, amperage draw increases linearly, which increases heat. Heat destroys electronic components, so once the voltage drops below 9.5v or so, the ECU simply shuts off, and the rest of the bike with it. Newer Kawi's have a voltage warning built into the FI/warning light on the dash, but older ones did not and would just shut off "without warning" in such a case.

The actual ECU generates very little heat. It's in a smooth plastic box buried in the tail. The actual chips are potted inside epoxy for waterproofing. Not designed to get much if any airflow, because it doesn't need any. Even after extended running, the box is only very slightly warmer than ambient air to the touch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts