Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on creating a custom steering stem for my project and had some questions on how to properly secure one inside of a custom triple clamp.
  1. How do non-welded steering stems stay in place?
  2. Is there a difference for steering stems made for adjustable offset?

·
Super Moderator
3,046 Posts
1). It depends. Some stems press in from the bottom so you just need a lip to seat in a counterbore in the lower clamp. Some stems press in from the top. They are pushed through a bit far, have a circlip installed around the stem lower portion and then pushed back through so the clip seats in a counter bore.

2) I can’t really help you there.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1). It depends. Some stems press in from the bottom so you just need a lip to seat in a counterbore in the lower clamp. Some stems press in from the top. They are pushed through a bit far, have a circlip installed around the stem lower portion and then pushed back through so the clip seats in a counter bore.

2) I can’t really help you there.

Later, Doug
Thanks for the info.

Hopefully someone in the know can chime in for the adjustable offset kind.

·
10,893 Posts
how are you adjusting the offset ?

this has adjustable offset if you can be arsed trawling through the thread

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how are you adjusting the offset ?

this has adjustable offset if you can be arsed trawling through the thread
I was going to create a set of custom clamps that would have inserts with holes for the supported offset sizes. I was just unsure how to securely fit a stem inside one without welding and potential press fitting.

BTW, that's a cool ass build and I like that you documented most of it with pictures.

Maybe I missed it, but I could only find the sections where you showed the custom triple clamps that you had already installed the steering stem into it. My guess, based on the inserts you created, is that you did some type of press fit as well?

Also, I didn't catch what type of aluminum you used for them. Was it 6061 or 7075? I was thinking of going 7075 with all of the parts based on what I've seen for sale out there and what others have suggested, but not sure if it would be too stiff.

·
10,893 Posts
6061 will be plenty strong, we use 6082 over here

this page shows the underside with the pocket for the insert

this shows the yoke with the insert pressed in from the underside , it has two countersink screws, but as its in from the underside it won't really need them, once the inserts are in the stem can be pressed in as normal

the top insert goes in from the top, held down by the stem nut

1 - 6 of 6 Posts