Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get about 3kish for the rear and 4.5-5 on the front.

Thats with continental conti-motion on a gsxr 600, the last set was on sale for $140 for both! Cheap ass tires but they grip good, all the way to the edge; definitely knee-scrapeable tires.

But this rear is lasting me maybe two months, it's been abused a lot more than normal, some dragging and extended 150+ mph running. Looking at the pirelli angels for my next change, any one tried em?

So whats up with yall's rubber? Got any tires you just love?

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
conti motions are the sport bike tire i buy if im about to sell a bike, will grip well but its soft compound cheap cheap tire. dealer cost on a set is like a hundred bucks. and i had one on the r6 for a few sessions that i got for free with a nail that i patched and burned the fuck out.

i really wish dunlop didnt discontinue the d616, man i loved that tire. didnt last much longer than the conti motions and were 3 times as expensive but that tire did everything. and the aggressive thread didnt hurt fucking around on grass and dirt and good in the rain.

now if im buying a track/aggressive street set it will most likely be the dunlop q3, or if its commute/stunt tire it will be the new michelin road pilot

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
I rock the Pilot Road Threes when I can Afford Brand Spanking new Tires. cant beat 15k on a tire. thats with a few Burnouts in there as well.

Right now Im rocking a Set of Pirelli Sport touring tires i believe, they were take offs someone put 500 on and didnt " LIKE HOW THEY FELT" when I went to give dude his tires back he said keepem they were junk... so the next week they went right on my bandito. its a 190 too and feels great.

Ive ridden all kinds of odd ball tires and I always go for the sport tourers. they still got the grip i need when i need it and they ride nice in the rain and they last forever even if im riding 52 miles a day on the highway.

However I did try a Budget set of Shinkos and they Lasted a long time just took some time to warm up

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
I get 2 good weekends outta mine lol. no idea what the actual milage is. I run dunlop 211 gp-a in the medium + compound. Ive tried perelli superbike pros and the michelin power pilot pros or whatever their new shit is. dollar for dollar neither one of them comes close to the level of grip and feed back that I get from the 211s.

Dr.j, forget about the q3s, they dont last. matt only got like 1 1/2 weekends outta his

·
i cant fart
10,917 Posts
Dr.j, forget about the q3s, they dont last. matt only got like 1 1/2 weekends outta his
really? on a brand new set???? i was reading some nice stuff about them shits. and rode a cbr1000 with a set out to Pongo and they were amazing. almost wore that beast of a bike as a hat but so much fun.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I just realized that I've never kept a set of tires long enough to know the full 0-done mileage.

Bridgestone BT-016: Good grip, wore pretty evenly for a "supersport" tire
Pirelli Angel GT: Wasn't pleased with how quickly the center wore, especially for a sport touring tire.
Michelin Pilot Power: Good grip and quick warmup. Didn't keep my FZR long enough to find out wear patterns.
Michelin Power One: Had it on the front of my B12 and it stuck like glue. The front end felt better than it had any right to.
Shinko 009: Seriously long wearing. I had one for 7k miles on the back of my B12 and who knows how long the PO had it before it was worn out. I didn't take it easy on that tire either. Long warmup times though. Best grip comes with lower tire pressures.

My next set will probably be a Pilot Power 3 on the front and a Pilot Road 3 or 4 on the rear. Seems to be a well-liked combo.

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
you know... im about to change tires tonight for this weekends ncbikes if you wanna try the 211s, these takeoffs would last you all weekend.. maby two if you stay in the class/white group. the rear is a 190/60 though. if you think it would fit and you wantem they yours

·
GURU of da poo poo
5,717 Posts
The d616 were great tires, but you really didn't want then on a sport bike. They were heavy and didn't like it at 150+

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
really? on a brand new set???? i was reading some nice stuff about them shits. and rode a cbr1000 with a set out to Pongo and they were amazing. almost wore that beast of a bike as a hat but so much fun.

Yup and now that I'm riding harder on the track 1 1/2days out of a brand new set. I'll get 2 days out of a front. What I do now is run them for 1 day and then take them off and sell them for $150-200 so that way I'm paying a little under $100 for the new set. I need to find more stunters because the center is brand fucking new but there is ZERO tread on the sides.

You can't beat the grip though. I feel like I could ride up a wall and drag knee on them I just wish they lasted longer. Now that it's getting hotter out I'm sure I'll kill them even faster. 90+ degrees out they grip so fucking good great for your confidence but they are dead at the end of the day.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
O yea and continentals are as shitty as shinkos. I know the old school guys rock the shinkos on their CBs and stuff but on supersport continentals and shinkos are the shittiest tires. Tires are your biggest safety feature don't be cheap on them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't knock em so hard! I ran the bike with a set of pilot powers when I first got it and I honestly can't tell the difference. Decent mileage well worth the money with great grip, never had the rear pop out on me with some serious cornering. Great street tires imo, no problems gripping in rain either; but like other people have stated they can take a little bit to warm up but by the time you get to a twisty here you've ran the highway enough to warm them.

I rock the Pilot Road Threes when I can Afford Brand Spanking new Tires. cant beat 15k on a tire. thats with a few Burnouts in there as well.

Right now Im rocking a Set of Pirelli Sport touring tires i believe, they were take offs someone put 500 on and didnt " LIKE HOW THEY FELT" when I went to give dude his tires back he said keepem they were junk... so the next week they went right on my bandito. its a 190 too and feels great.

Ive ridden all kinds of odd ball tires and I always go for the sport tourers. they still got the grip i need when i need it and they ride nice in the rain and they last forever even if im riding 52 miles a day on the highway.

However I did try a Budget set of Shinkos and they Lasted a long time just took some time to warm up
Can't go wrong with sport touring tires on a road bike man, too many people around here buy the most expensive track tires only to wear them down the middle on the highways.

Pilot road threes are some sweet tires, got to ride a friend's R1 after he broke them in and they are so smooth in a lean. The guy said he'll never use a different tire. The life on them is nuts too, I've just read reviews of people getting 8-21k on the rear, that kind of mileage is crazy. How would you say you ride on them?

·
Registered
740 Posts
The Conti Motion was the tire of choice at the dealership for "trade-in bike that needs tires". Cheap and shitty, but they're new and that's all that matters for the showroom.

Pirellis seem to be known for uneven wearing. When I changed them the rears were almost always totally squared off and the fronts badly cupped. They're decent tires new, but the uneven wearing leads to a fairly short useable life.

Shinko stinko- They're somewhat popular because they're cheap, sticky, and handle decent when new. They also wear quickly, and the handling rapidly deteriorates as they wear. Good for 1/4 passes.

Vee rubber- The "new" cheap chinese tires. They're extremely hard with no grip or feel, yet somehow still wear quickly. Junk.

I have yet to ride any bike on Dunlops I had any confidence in whatsoever. To me they always feel cold and wooden. Call it a coincidence, almost everyone I know who's gone down on a bike did so on dunlop tires.

Metzeler's IMO are the standard for cruiser tires. The 880 and new 888 are fantastic. I'm not really a fan of their sport tires though....I ran a set of M3's and they were tough to heat up- unless you were really smoking on the street, they just wouldn't grip and had a very inconsistent, unpredictable feel.

I won't run anything but Michelins. Pilot power 3's are my "gold standard" and I recommend them to anyone. By far the most predictable, smooth, and grippy tires I've run. The Pilot Road's are good tires as well, they don't have quite the straight line grip of the Powers but still have excellent feel and longer life.

I have ~7k on my current power 3 rear, and it's pretty much on the wear bars in the center. Same mileage on the front, and that has maybe 1-2mm to the bars. No cupping or squaring on the tires whatsoever, and they still handle well.

·
I think im lost
573 Posts
Q3's for me this summer...
First rear down to the wear bars right at 2500 miles
Ran battleaxe b023's throught the winter about 4500-5000 per rear and 10,000ish for the front

I don't do burnouts till the day we change the tires
I do ride fairly hard a lot of the time
And the front wheel gets lofted to the air quite a bit

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah like razed said, pilot powers up, dunlops down...
btw im one of the guys he mentioned who went down on a set of dunlops haha, my fz-09 came with dunlops. they fuckin sucked, any throttle input would light up the rear (even at temp) plus apparently if someone pulls a uturn if front of you, both tires will wash out and ull end up low siding your shiny ride. my pilot power 3s (on recommendation from mr. razed) came in so once im back on my feet theyre gettin wrapped around my blurple wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone run the avon 3d tires, their on sale atm. Id also like to try the shinko dual sport 705's I think. Anyone run them on a supersport?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Conti Motion was the tire of choice at the dealership for "trade-in bike that needs tires". Cheap and shitty, but they're new and that's all that matters for the showroom.

Pirellis seem to be known for uneven wearing. When I changed them the rears were almost always totally squared off and the fronts badly cupped. They're decent tires new, but the uneven wearing leads to a fairly short useable life.

Shinko stinko- They're somewhat popular because they're cheap, sticky, and handle decent when new. They also wear quickly, and the handling rapidly deteriorates as they wear. Good for 1/4 passes.

Vee rubber- The "new" cheap chinese tires. They're extremely hard with no grip or feel, yet somehow still wear quickly. Junk.

I have yet to ride any bike on Dunlops I had any confidence in whatsoever. To me they always feel cold and wooden. Call it a coincidence, almost everyone I know who's gone down on a bike did so on dunlop tires.

Metzeler's IMO are the standard for cruiser tires. The 880 and new 888 are fantastic. I'm not really a fan of their sport tires though....I ran a set of M3's and they were tough to heat up- unless you were really smoking on the street, they just wouldn't grip and had a very inconsistent, unpredictable feel.

I won't run anything but Michelins. Pilot power 3's are my "gold standard" and I recommend them to anyone. By far the most predictable, smooth, and grippy tires I've run. The Pilot Road's are good tires as well, they don't have quite the straight line grip of the Powers but still have excellent feel and longer life.

I have ~7k on my current power 3 rear, and it's pretty much on the wear bars in the center. Same mileage on the front, and that has maybe 1-2mm to the bars. No cupping or squaring on the tires whatsoever, and they still handle well.
I'm not a big fan of dunlop tires, ran a set of d404s on a Vstar 1100 and while the traction was fine they wore so quickly. Wasn't worth the money.

I just ordered a pilot road 2 for a new rear, I'm hearing it has the same amazing mileage/grip of the road 3 but less price and supposedly less traction in the rain but its rare for my tires to see rain. Funny how attentive to the weather riding a bike will make you haha. Got it for a pretty good deal I think, $130; can't wait to give it a spin.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts