Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lifespan of a sports bike engine???

Wondering how many kilometres/miles are too many on a sports bike? As in longevity of the motor/gearbox? I've always been told about 60,000kms is getting on a bit. depending on maintenance, how hard the owner rode it, track work etc etc. obviously it's a bit of guess work but is there a widely recognised "standard" cheers

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
its ALL in the maintenance. there's a guy on cbrf that has 250,000 miles on his f4i, he's only replaced a couple of cogs in the gearbox once - i think around 200,000 miles. and i've seen motors blow up under 10,000 miles. it's all in how the PO and you take care of it

·
Registered
269 Posts
I say it's the same with all motor vehicles, no matter if it's a bike, car, truck, boat, whatever. If you take care of it, it'll take care of you. There's always those freak things that break unexpectedly, but I don't believe a bike is any different than a car in how long it'll last. It just turns out that the majority of people who ride don't ride a lot. Me, I don't drive a lot. If I can accomplish what I need to do on two wheels then I'm riding. I'm the only owner of my fighter, bought new in 2005, and I'm about to turn 50,000 miles on it. Everything is still in great working order.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
I personally know someone with over 50,000 miles on a 03 Honda 919(Hornet for you overseas types :D )
Someone on the Daytona 675 forum has over 100,000 miles

Here's a vid of the CBR guy that Conrice mentioned. I think he had to rebuild the transmission.

As Larry said, it's mostly in how well you maintain it.

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
I personally know someone with over 50,000 miles on a 03 Honda 919(Hornet for you overseas types :D )
Someone on the Daytona 675 forum has over 100,000 miles

Here's a vid of the CBR guy that Conrice mentioned. I think he had to rebuild the transmission.

2004 CBR 600 F4i turns 200,000 miles + recent updates - YouTube

As Larry said, it's mostly in how well you maintain it.
That guy's on another forum I frequent... He hasn't posted very recently, but if I had to guess I'd say he was over 300k by now. The ONLY reason he had to do ANYTHING to that engine was because he crashed it... and it was just the case. He ONLY runs auto oil and got rid of his car with over 435k miles...

Gutted some of his posts from the other forum:

Yup yup.... as the title states, she rolled over 200k earlier tonight without even so much as a hiccup, and still rolling right along and running like a dream!

I started looking through all my old pics and got all sappy, so I decided to do something a little different this time instead of the quick rollover video and a few pics. So I made a video, and started from the beginning and posted some pics from along the way of our travels, and then the video of it rolling over at the end. Music is a little cheesy, I know, but hey I had to add something in there, and plus it just seemed to kinda fit the theme pretty well, lol

YouTube - 2004 CBR 600 F4i turning 200,000 miles + brief history

As for the bike... it's still running like an absolute dream! Still ridden daily, never gives me a lick of trouble. As long as she keeps running good, I'll keep riding her.... still curious as to just how far she'll go!
So awesome...
Its a shame the original engine couldn't make the trip.
you mean the original case... all the guts are there...
Had one wheel bearing go out in the front.... axle seal failed and it leaked water into the bearing and rusted. Replaced both front bearings, I think it was around 160k or so. Clutch is 100% factory original....

I did have to change the steering head bearings somewhere around the same time as well.... they got notchy and had a detent in the straight ahead position
Yup... Mobil 1 full syn 10w-40 now, but when I was in Flawriduh I was using 15w-50... changed every 5000 miles

Yup as the title states... the trusty old F4i rolled over 1/4 million miles today like it ain't no big thing, kept right on going! I know I'm a mile off, I was hoping to snap some pics soon as it turned but the road we were on was kinda sketchy to pull over safely so just went a little further up until we got to a parking lot. Close enough, lol. Still running like a dream!! 6 trackdays and counting (maybe I'll get fast one of these days.... smh)... doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon!

The seat hasnt worn off yet?!
I've replaced it 2 or 3 times now :lol Actually got a couple little cracks in it again, prob about time for another
He it 250,000 miles around Thanksgiving 2012. Valve adjustments every 30k or so and only once were they out of spec - somewhere in the 100k range, an exhaust valve.

·
always a work in progress
472 Posts
and he does track days with it too. so he's not always easy on it.

but that's the point. mileage isn't the issue. its ALWAYS in how it's maintained. just like this guy has 250k, how many examples can you find where people are blowing up at 15k.

one of the 954 motors i pulled apart. the guy said he thought maybe it had a knock.

that's a .012 feeler - spec for piston wall gap is .002 now, i know that's not an accurate way to measure piston wall gap, but if anything, the measurement done by a basic feeler should be tighter...

i can't remember how many miles the guy said the motor had on it. but i know for a fact it was under 25k miles

·
jamal avatar #1
3,443 Posts
i put ~60k on my DR before theft. bought dec 2011, stolen april 2013. 1 Basic top end repair, otherwise I was never stranded once.
my new gsxr has near 30k, 7k of that is me. Ive owned it since Mid April.
I'm daily driving a Virago (LOL) now. Soon to be XR600
Other bikes aren't even worth putting up, just average numbers lol

FZ1 stands out as far as sportbike reliability. F Series Hondas are amazing also. 1100 boilers are loads more reliable than other boilers. Fireblades are noteworthy also.

thats the big list of really proven sport bikes. Its a short list. I don't know about new bikes like ninja 650s ect.

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
There's a guy with a 650r that has around 100k miles on his, basic maintence only I believe. But he's an older fella and just does touring type riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.