Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ill try to make this as simple as i can. right now i have the srad frame with the 08 1000 motor in it. 08 1000 rear shock and 05 600 swingarm. the arm itself is an inch (25ish mm) longer than the stock srad arm. suspension wise its not bad. rides just fine and all that. but i have been tempted in putting the srad SA back in with a fox twin clicker shock that a friend has offered me. the only thing i would really have to do is make a mount for my brake. so back to my question, all else being equal (ride height, brakes, blah blah blah) how much of a difference would my rear end being an inch shorter make? its doubtful ill ever be on a track of any kind.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Ask britjoe I think he left the stock srad sa on his when he threw the 1000 lump in his. I remember him saying it made the bike more fun handling and wheelie wise. Check with him he will know

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i talked with him about it forever ago. i remember when i switched over to the other SA it seemed to rice more stable. not by much mind you but enough to notice it. but that also could have been partly because of the shock going from a beat to piss 98 item to a almost brand new 08 1000. honestly im just bored and want to do something. a friend has a freshly rebuilt fox twin clicker meant for that frame and swingarm and right now i have the 98 750 frame, 08 1000 shock. 05 600 swingarm, and not sure which linkage or dogbones are on it. my rear shock has seen better days too. i only really notice how worn it is when the lady is on the back and we dont take the car unless we have to. she only weighs 120-130 pounds too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I fitted a ZZR 1200 shock to my ZZR 600 E with stock dogbones I lost an inch of ride height.

Because of the sag of the E shock, the 12 shock was taller once I sat on it (E shock sagged 3/4 travel with me on it, and I'm only 15 stone!). It improved the handling no end, and when I fitted shorter bones to bring the height back up an inch, I must've only reduced the wheelbase a tiny amount and it was night and day difference again!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
How much is 15 stone?

Edit: google is my best friend it's 210lbs if anyone else is interested

·
UnicycleMode
7,580 Posts
It isn't a huge change, but I notice it when I get to a point with a chain where I am at the rear of adjustment and want to squeeze that last few miles out of it I'll chop off a link and go from full rear of the dropout to full front and that is usually a solid inch or so in wheel base. Usually requires a little longer slip of the clutch for wheelies at full rear of the adjustment, and cornering is a slight bit more stable at the rear, but when it comes down to it I don't think it effects daily operation what so ever.

If you were making a 2-4 inch change I would think about it with some concern in terms of how the bike will feel, but 1 inch isn't bad at all, you can mix sprocket combo's to find the rear of the adjustment to begin with in order to get used to it being slightly shorter if it does feel different at all to begin with. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts