Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating just keeping my Fizzy and really fightering it. That got me to thinking about what things I don't like about the bike and one is its weight. How much do some of your bikes weigh? Was there any significant weight loss when you converted your bike to streetfighte style?
Brad

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Sorry, not completely off topic. I don't quite know the weight of my bike. I ended up doing so many mods, I think it's a couple of pounds heavier ?? :wtf:

But with a dirty bar set up, they feel 100lbs lighter because of the leverage !! ( 2cent smiley goes here )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I want to lighten my bike and hopefully I can.
If I can go to an aftermarket header and get rid of that EXUP
and add a small SOLO Seat/Tail & aluminum subframe, pod filters instead of airbox, aluminum bars instead of steel, small lights
instead of large with a fairing, I dont think the frame sliders I want
to add will offset all that..lol.
brad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, what bike do you have? That is a very significan weight loss!

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Hayabusa.

Fairing mount, upper, lowers, underbelly, and tail plastics are gone. Mufflers are also gone, and they weighed a ridiculous amount.

All the lights and gauges are replaced with lighter versions, too.

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
lol i dropped 85 lbs after my wreck... then fightered my bike... does that count lol? if so i say i lost about 130 lbs... my guestimate. -plastics and some metal, plus risers and a little bit of metal on my tail. i'd say at least 50 lbs. in body work.

·
GURU
1,797 Posts
I dropped about 100 or more off when I did my bike.......but my frame was steel and I swapped out alot of stuff with alluminum parts (swingarm, lighter wheels, subframe)

·
746 Posts
380ish, Honda 900RR.

Plastics, guages, brackets and shit are gone, headlight replaced with a small light pod thing i made (stock ones are MASSIVE) Yoshimura titanium full system with the "muffler" cut down to about 9 inches and a new lean mean subframe is going to get built too to hold the fiberglass tail and LED strip tail/brake/turn light. It was a light bike to start with so it might even be less than my guestimate.

·
GURU
3,368 Posts
My GSXR lost about 36 lbs. when I did the conversion. It puts my dry weight around 329 lbs. and my total weight with oil, coolant and a full tank of gas around 354 lbs. With 160hp to the wheel it makes for some good fun.:D

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
Just taking the UPPER fairing off (not counting the subframe and all that crap), netted me a 35lb loss.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wet weight- 516 :(

The few things I have removed maybe add up to ten pounds. Once I get the center stand off, and go to town with the angle grinder, I can hope for the upper 400s. We shall see.:knucks:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put mine on the scales at the recycle center this morning. With only about an 1/8 of a tank of gas it scaled in at 460lbs. Not bad! And I know there is plenty more to pare off of it.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
I had made a post about bike weight on another forum....my SV1K weighed a lot more than I thought it would. I am gonna do the same thing when I get the fighter done.

DougZ on SVR said:
For what its worth...I weighed my 2003 SV1K on a large pallet scale at work yesterday...after I got back from filling up on gas....and it was 467 lbs.

4.5 gallon tank X ~6.2 lbs/gallon petro = 27.9 lbs

467 - 27.9 = ~439 lbs....and that is with already shaving off about 20-25 lbs with can swaps, and other misc parts.

Where Suzuki comes up with dry weights of 412/417*, I'll never know or understand.

* Two diff weights I found online.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
Put mine on the scales at the recycle center this morning. With only about an 1/8 of a tank of gas it scaled in at 460lbs. Not bad! And I know there is plenty more to pare off of it.

I've read alot of your Posts. I absolutely LOVE the frz 1,000. I had NO problem using the thing for a track bike in 2000. It had the most smooth trani of just about any sport bike I've riden. It was by far my favorite machine I've owned. It fit me well !!
I'll dig up some pics of it. I dyno'd mine at midohio and it read 129.9. It was a 1994 model ( black and orange) Yes it was a tank around town, but at speed it didn't seem heavy at all. Now we complain all the times about the older machines being soooo heavy, but the racers who had to push thier limits, thought they were light and fast and the shit. I still know several older WERA racers that can kill me effortlessly on the track on even heavier machines. Some folks are soooo smooth it's scary ! I have a friend he's 52 years old ( Dean Ogelbie ) and races a tl 1,000 in WERA and can Kill me without much effort and I'm just fighting my gixxer to keep the pace. I wanna be that smooth !!!! .......Some day :mad:

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
another thing you might want to think about is rotational weight..... you can save a good amount by doing sprockets, chain, tires (about a pound can be saved in each dept) ....and if you wanna go really crazy RIMS too which will shed ya like 10 lbs or somthing..

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
I had made a post about bike weight on another forum....my SV1K weighed a lot more than I thought it would. I am gonna do the same thing when I get the fighter done.
Dry weight is
No oil, water, brake fluid, fork oil, battery, or gasoline.
The battery is a pretty heavy bit dude..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts