Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Create Destroy Repeat
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put up on my build thread that I was going to cross drill my own rotors which was met with some cautionary posts.

I scoured the net and found tons of info about it, tons have people have done it without problems such as heat stress cracks or warping. There are also tons of templates out there so I went ahead and did mine up.

Some key points:

-Use Cobalt bits. They cut through the rotors like butter. Way better than Titanium and stay sharp ahelluva lot longer so they pay for themselves.

-Use cutting oil to keep things cool and prolong the life of your bits.

-Use good clamps to keep your rotor secure to the base of your press. Ovals don't look as cool.

First step be well rested and have a nice meal in you, yeah I know I have tools and shit all over my place:

-Measure your rotor and adjust your template if need be in Photoshop or Gimp or something then print it on two sheets of "letter" size paper. There are tons of templates google will find for you.

-The general idea with the patterns is that the holes A) are where the pad contacts the rotor and B) there are holes staggered so when the pad contacts when rotating the pad passes over holes evenly over it's entire surface. Does that make sense? You don't want to pad to get groves from contacting areas with holes verses without.

-Place the template on the rotor and secure it with spray adhesive or tape.

-I recommend using a punch to mark the holes then toss the template. I didn't do this and shavings would get in between the template and rotor which was a hassle.

-I bought a couple cobalt bits. I can't stress enough how great these bits are. I went with
5/16th and 7/32 bits. It's not advised to use 3/8ths or larger.

Anyhow back to a pic. I told my Son he could play video games once he drilled all the holes and then proceeded to play video games.

I would start to drill a little indent then squirt a couple drops of oil in and drill then a bit of oil. I didn't drill all the holes in one shot and the rotor never got warmer than being able to touch with my bare hand. I also recommend cleaning the shavings as you go and since my cats like playing with the long strands and I found them all over my place.

Here's the final product after cleaning with simple green to get the oil and spray adhesive off. I always use brake cleaner after I instal a new rotor since I tend to get greasy finger prints on them.

Oh yeah I wear the full on safety goggles since a co worker of mine was using a chop saw on brick with the stylish kind of safety glasses and a piece of brick shot up under them into his eye. A former boss of mine wasn't wearing any glasses and is now blind in one eye. As cool as eye patches are I prefer my fully functioning eyes.

·
Hazards-r-us
707 Posts
Nice job

Remember folks....you can walk with a wooden leg
BUT you can't see with a glass eye!

·
Doesn't know shit
552 Posts
They look great

·
GOOROO of da POO POO
3,701 Posts
Awesome information... If you do it right, as displayed above, there should be zero issues...

I've seen some drilled rotors that were horribly done... Those are ace...

·
Premium Member
15,798 Posts
this needs to be made into a stickie

good info. i may try it as soon as i get a press

·
Create Destroy Repeat
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the rep guys. If anyone has any other questions about this feel free to pm me.

There is also the debate whether or not to Chamfer the holes. There's a bunch of info online whether of not to do it. I chose not to due to the simple reason I don't have a large enough bit to chamfer the bigger holes.....yet.

·
nice trac phone
1,838 Posts
nice write up. i use a bridge port to drill mine so i didnt have to unclamp it so much. only tip i got it cutting oil, use a lot of cutting oil, more is better

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
I've been meaning to but without an end mill bit holder my rotary table and mill don't do me much good. The plan is to grab a few old KZ rotors I have and give it a shot, if it turns out the way I'm hoping (like your examples in the first post) I've planned on doing the CB360 rotor I have here. Been planning on drilling that thing for over a year now. :)

Awesome writeup. :knucks:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Explain to me how this is possible?:
there are holes staggered so when the pad contacts when rotating the pad passes over holes evenly over it's entire surface. Does that make sense? You don't want to pad to get groves from contacting areas with holes verses without.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts