Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 Bandit needs an engine paint job bad. Im not worried about the prep and cleaning sanding part. But my bike has a stainless steel bolt kit in it. Does any one have any tips to paint the engine all together without painting the bolts. Im not sure that taping them will do a good enough job. Any help or tips?

·
do it yerself
230 Posts
Make sure all bolts can be undone, spray engine with all bolts in place, while still tacky remove every other bolt, clean off paint, replace , then repeat bolt removal. Simples!!!

·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I am just going to switch them for the stock ones and then put them back on after. The way the bolts sit so close to the side covers the tape wont do the trick. This will be more time consuming but atleast it will come out the best in the end.

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and by some of the bolt covers. They cost like 5.00 and come with like 30. Put em on, paint, then take em off. Voila.

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and by some of the bolt covers. They cost like 5.00 and come with like 30. Put em on, paint, then take em off. Voila.
Thats tha way ,simple and qwick!

·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just might have to see about that. They just on the shelf, like in the 'help' section?

·
Fucking Newb...Oh wait
7,631 Posts
Yeah, they're just little fake chrome caps. Or take painters tape, apply it to wax paper and use a hole punch to make little circles to put on top.
Either that or modeling clay is what I use.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,238 Posts
Yeah, they're just little fake chrome caps. Or take painters tape, apply it to wax paper and use a hole punch to make little circles to put on top.
Either that or modeling clay is what I use.
you're so fucking smart

·
Trackday junkie
139 Posts
wouldn't it be a truck lad easier to just dump the oil then undo the bolts. Paint the engine then do the bolts back up? Time ya muck around with tape n suchlike you coulda painted it hand had it all back together again

·
91 Posts
I used a bearing lubricant. I put a bit of it on each bolt with a little brush, then painted the engine and when the paint dryied, I wiped all the bolts with a cloth. But You need to be very careful not to grime engine with it and it didn't came too nice in the end.
So if you want to do it good I think you will have to use some old bolts however the paint can crack when you will unbolt old and bolt a new bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts