Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
That guy
4,468 Posts
dunno, having a recessed innershell could make for some wicked light set ups too...

Be honest I have no idea, I DO know I love the shape of them.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
incredible. i may go this route. never liked carbon fiber, but that looks amazing! id have to go tweed though.

·
120 Posts
Do you think you could wrap more detailed parts? like a front fender? or with all the angles and long curve, bolt holes etc does it get to difficult?

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Do you think you could wrap more detailed parts? like a front fender? or with all the angles and long curve, bolt holes etc does it get to difficult?
the problem isn not the complexity but rather the material. it is difficult to get the carbon fiber to follow all the curves but with patience it can be done. the problem is getting it to stick to the plastic. however if you rough the surface up enough it should adhere pretty well.

I ended up just using my front fender as a pattern to make my fully carbon fiber fender. i layed it over it like i was wrapping it but then build it up and popped it off the fender and viola! new carbon front fender. there is info in my build thread, along with step by step instructions.

·
The Handy Man
150 Posts
I REALLY want to do the carbon tank wrap for my next project. However, I am concerned that the carbon will fade into a greenish color from the sun (UV damage, saw it happen to a carbon hood). Knifemaker, how has your experience been with UV fading? Does it depend on which resin is used?

·
builder in training
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I REALLY want to do the carbon tank wrap for my next project. However, I am concerned that the carbon will fade into a greenish color from the sun (UV damage, saw it happen to a carbon hood). Knifemaker, how has your experience been with UV fading? Does it depend on which resin is used?
hey,
i was concerned about this too and did alot of research on it. The resin is what fades, and the rate it does that and the color it turns does depend on the resin. Better resin=better UV resistance. However... you can avoid the UV damage all together if you spray a UV resistance clearcoat over the carbon which is what i did.

House of Kolor make a very nice 2-part epoxy clearcoat that is VERY UV resistant, and that is what i use. however there are alot of clears that are UV resistant, so just find one that works for you and spray the carbon fiber after you finish it. no fading.

i hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
That came out looking so damn good dude. I have a question though, how does this stuff hold up to heat and sun? How hot can it withstand before it has adverse affects?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Ahh, You did notice that the last post to this thread is 6 yrs old. Just sayin:D

101 - 111 of 111 Posts