Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just picked up a 1991 Honda CBR 1000f in somewhat rough shape, but that runs and drives. I felt like I couldn't pass it up. I have the plastics, lights and gauges. The plastic varies from rough shape to pretty good. The lights and gauges work fine.

However, funds are limited, and my wife wants me to just sell it.

So, the options are:

1. Bring it to my brother's place in the Metro area, sell it and make a few hundred bucks.

2. Begin the slow process of restoring the bike on a limited budget, and the wife probably isn't happy until it's gone.

3. Chop the bike into a street fighter on the cheap, and ride it. Possible divorce.

I have an '89 Vmax already (so I can ride right now, and get there in a hurry if need be) but at some point I do want a sport bike, and this is pretty close to what I want but it needs work.

It runs and shifts through all the gears. But it's hard to start and the carbs leak.

It was supposedly run into a garage overhead door by a careless college-aged kid and taken away by the dad. It changed hands to a guy I met who wanted it gone because his kid wanted it and he felt it was potentially dangerous.

About half the fairing parts are damaged, half are serviceable. Same with the body of the bike -- the tank is in reasonable shape but the front fender needs work, etc.

Any opinions are valued. I'll answer any questions I can. I'm not a mechanic, or particularly mechanically experienced. I get the general impression that these bikes are hard to come by. I don't know if this makes me more eager to sell or keep the bike.

So you guys, who know about these bikes... what do you say?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has a broken clutch lever, so I bought one on ebay. I caught myself looking for mirrors. If I'm going to get rid of this bike, I'm going to have to do it before I form an emotional attachment to it.

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
It's not a pretty frame by anyone's imagination. And the hoses and wiring are classics from the "fuck it, there will be big bits of plastic here, here and here anyway" school of engineering.

Not an easy bike to fighter, it's no carb blade or oil cooled gsxr.

It's going to be a mission to make a decent fighter but a useable rat is within reach. Frankly I'd probably rather put fairings back on it than take the time in a bike with a strong engine but poor frame and cycle parts and which is frankly bastard ugly naked. Yah I know, but there you have it.

Reactions: dezmo

·
RIDE RED
726 Posts
It's not a pretty frame by anyone's imagination. And the hoses and wiring are classics from the "fuck it, there will be big bits of plastic here, here and here anyway" school of engineering.

Not an easy bike to fighter, it's no carb blade or oil cooled gsxr.

It's going to be a mission to make a decent fighter but a useable rat is within reach. Frankly I'd probably rather put fairings back on it than take the time in a bike with a strong engine but poor frame and cycle parts and which is frankly bastard ugly naked. Yah I know, but there you have it.
I think the bike has lots of potential and I really enjoy the look of the frame. Sleak and smooth. Just needs some touching up!

Keep the bike. If people think that 50,000 miles on a street bike make the motor bulit proof then theses motors are GOD DAMN TANK PROOF! My bike has well over 100,000 original miles, still runs great!

From what I am coming across, your big issues will be electrical (ignition) and carbs (leaks).

On my build I have already shown you how to fix the leaks at the o-rings so thats out of the way, and as far as ignition, if you need something new: hit ebay. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

If your wife wants you to ditch the bike then you are in a perdicament. When I first started building my bike I was doing it in my living room of my apartment, second floor. That is where the bike was completely torn apart. My buddies would ask what women thought of it and if I was ashamed of it being there. I told them "They usually ask what it is" I reply with my street bike. And if they dont like it I tell them they can leave. Different situation with you since your married but the situation is still the same. If you can provide for your family and still build a bike then do it and she shouldn't say anything about it. If need be, buy less beer and quit a bad habit. That will free up the extra cash needed. I have been working on my hard since Feb. It is still no where near done. Take your time. Your going to put things on, take them off, paint them, put them back on, scratch them, take them back off, re-paint, put them back on, break them, replace with new part, take it back off because you for got to paint, paint, then put back on only to break something else, and the cycle repeats. It is an old bike. Things are going to break. Deal with it and move on!

Sorry for the rant. Like I have said before if you need anything let me know. These bike are practically identical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts