Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So kind of late to start this thread since im already working on the swap but putting a 1997 f3 front end on my 1987 hurricane

Parts list includes:
1997 f3 front forks, top and bottom triple tree
1998 f3 calipers
EBC brake rotors
F3 front pads
1998 vfr 800 front rim
Spigler braided steel brake lines
2005 r6 brake master cylinder w/crg lever
2004 600rr clutch perch
41mm woodcraft clipons
All balls 1987 hurricane steering neck bearings and races
All balls 1997 f3 wheel bearings
1996 f3 front fender

That should be everything but im sure im forgetting some things. Lets get this show on the road

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front end removed. I pulled the wheel then handlebars and forks, then triple tree. I highly recommend just pulling the top nut off of the top triple amd sliding the whole assembly out at once, saves a lot of time and is much easier

Attachments

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steering neck bearing and races in. New bearings greased and on the bottom triple of the f3 front end

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the lack of pictures my hands were filthy for most of this but i will try and get better pictures as i go.

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i put the f3 front end on to test fit and ran across my first problem. The steering stop for the stock front end is too wide for the steering stops on the f3 front end. I have all of an inch of turing radius.

Attachments

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had to cut off the old steering stop so i was able to turn the bars but now i need to figure out where to put the new steering stop. If i want to put it back in the middle or not. F2s and F3s have the steering stops behind the forks so im not sure if i want to do that or not

Attachments

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heres a peek of what the bike looks with most of the front end on. More of just a mockup and to test for fitment for the new steering stops

Attachments

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So finally got the new steering stop welded on. Just got some square steel and used that. Painted it and it looks awesome and works great.

Attachments

Reactions: cbrfxr67

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put the whole front end together today. Put on the brakes, ran the new lines, measured out the clipons, put on all the controls

·
evillani
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Annnnd the finished product

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Looking good!

I am slightly surprised it worked though... I know from CBR900 wheel swap sagas that the VFR800 has discs 5mm (ish?) each side further outboard than the f3 wheel does, not to mention a totally different disc mounting pitch diameter. Did the sliding calipers have enough movement to let you get away with that safely?

·
Premium Member
2,225 Posts
Heres a peek of what the bike looks with most of the front end on. More of just a mockup and to test for fitment for the new steering stops

Question answered, it's not a VFR800 rim, compare the outside ends of the spokes for verification :)

More likely an f3 wheel or vfr750 wheel, which are the same part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts