1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
I would totally do that. Been pondering the hydraulic swap for weeks now and this pretty much seals the deal. Gonna find me a listing in the next few weeks for one and jump on it.

I say go for it, if anything it could be modified with proper seals and fittings (if need be) and work great.

-Rat

·
ill make it fit
727 Posts
ok before you read this i have never done this swap or know of anyone that tryed it!!!

ok so from what i have heard from thinking about doing this kind of swap from this great customfighters.com. is that there is a big problem with sealing everything and the work is not worth the time. but that being say dont not do it cause of that if you think you can get it to work and are willing to go do it by all means do it. but i have heard that sealing everything is a problem. and getting it to work right is a problem to

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Like I was saying to my brother earlier, a quality master cylinder and some quality seals in the slave cylinder and it could be a golden setup. Spreading the word about the part number and procedure for the slave seals would be the ticket too.

I've been thinking more and more about some DIY sticky's that are not here on the site that really should be.

·
Take me down to Haliewa
299 Posts
Well after about 30 seconds of consideration, I just bought on of these. :shocker: I looked around for other colors, but they only have silver. I can always paint it or get it re-anodized. My 87 gsxr is already hydro clutch, but the hose is black and moldy and has nicks/tears, and the slave cyclinder has stripped screws and is... well from 1987. So I just picked this up for the stainless hose and the modern cylinder to go with my USD swap. I'll post up pics and a reiew when I get back on land and unbox this thing.

Oh yeah, I kinda breezed through it but I think it said the hose was 34" long - if you were all wondering.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Kick ass! Can't wait to hear about the quality/operation of this thing as this would be a PERFECT solution for my 1100F if it can move a GSXR basket.

·
Swamp Witch
6,239 Posts
Huh. I had never seen these before, thanks for posting it up! I certainly wouldn't mind an easier to pull clutch on both of my Buells.

Another idea would be to use a known good quality clutch mc and hose, and just hook up the little hydraulic-to-cable cylinder actuator thingy in the kit instead of using the mc and hose that comes with it.

·
Take me down to Haliewa
299 Posts
Got it in, and it looks like all it will take is a new hose to make it work. The banjo fitting on the master has a 10mm head, and on the slave it's a tiny little allen. Obviosly that didn't fit my GSXR cylinder (12mm on everything). So I need a 10mm-10mm banjo hose and a reducer on the slave fitting. Shouldn't be too hard.

I don't know how much fluid it pushes with each pump. That will be the real test - when it's installed. Speaking of installation, it only takes up like 1/2" on the bar and clears the headlight/turn signal box. But there's a little gap to make it work. I might hand a mirror there so there isn't a shitty gap on the bar. Check the pics.

Tool

Revolver Airsoft Airsoft gun

·
RUST REMOVER
1,092 Posts
Any updates on this? Looks like a cool/cheap mod.

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
I will officially not knock the chinese for a good... 12 hours. Pretty cool.

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
ebay has these super cheap 'hydraulic clutch conversion lever kits for dirt bike" whats the deal? anybody know anything about these less than 30$ comes out even with what i payed for my last clutch cable!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0662946958&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

seems too good...usually is but i just thought id see what yall had to say
Hmm, looks like it's gonna be a headache. I don't like the looks of the business end of that little beastie. Let us know how it goes.

Also, why do you guys want to switch to hydraulic? Keeping the DOT 4 looking clean on my Hydraulic clutch is just added labor that I hate. Cables are so simple.

·
Swamp Witch
6,239 Posts
Also, why do you guys want to switch to hydraulic? Keeping the DOT 4 looking clean on my Hydraulic clutch is just added labor that I hate. Cables are so simple.
For me personally, the clutch pull is pretty heavy on both of my Buells (actually, on my Honda too) and I have RSI in my wrists, so it's a matter of comfort/health.

·
I love lamps
4,113 Posts
Cables aren't simple when they snap and you're away from home.

A master/slave will leak before it breaks.

(That's what she said.)

·
Take me down to Haliewa
299 Posts
Any updates on this? Looks like a cool/cheap mod.
Sorry, I'm in Wisconsin for December and the clutch is back home in... Hawaii. When I get back on the island I'll do up a hose and reinstall the slave cylinder on my engine.

Edit: Just wanted to say that the reason I'm interested in this, is that my clutch was hydraulic to begin with, but my master cylinder was 1987 style crap. So this is hopefully a lightweight modern solution.

·
Freedom Fighter
263 Posts
Hmm, looks like it's gonna be a headache. I don't like the looks of the business end of that little beastie. Let us know how it goes.

Properly lubed and adjusted cables are simple. I prefer cables over hydro as well, cause if a cable breaks you can usually grab whats left of the cable to actuate the clutch while limping home. have a fitting or hose break means you are screwed. Saying that though i've got all hydro on mine.

·
Ridin' Dirty
6,773 Posts
For me personally, the clutch pull is pretty heavy on both of my Buells (actually, on my Honda too) and I have RSI in my wrists, so it's a matter of comfort/health.
hydraulic will only reduce clutch pull if there is a ton of friction in your cable. The clutch springs are the only thing that truly dictates clutch pull. If you've got friction in your cable try replacing it and keeping the new one properly lubed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.